Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/04/2019, 10:25 AM   #376
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

That sounds like a great solution. Nicely done!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon
Michael Hoaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2019, 06:48 AM   #377
vlangel
Registered Member

Yesterday I saw both green clown hobbies out at the same time which was reassuring. I have decided to name them Jet and Piper. I generally hold off on names until I feel fish have adjusted.

I saw one of the dart fish peeking out from under the heater yesterday. I wished I would see a little more of them.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2019, 07:51 AM   #378
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

I like naming fish too. It's fun!

I bet your dart fish will come out soon. They have a shy reputation. Given your peaceful community, they'll come around.

Old 01/07/2019, 08:59 AM   #379
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
I like naming fish too. It's fun!

I bet your dart fish will come out soon. They have a shy reputation. Given your peaceful community, they'll come around.
That is what I am hoping too. I was glad that so many people have warned me of their shy nature or I would probably feel bad by now assuming that they have or are about to perish. I am feeding very heavy to help them have food even when they wont come out in the open. I see one of my fang blennies scratching on the sand now so I may back off a little. Tomorrow is water change day too which should help a bit.

My few tiny hermits and multiple snails seem to be keeping nuisance algae in check. This morning a hermit has been cleaning the halimeda which I was happy to see. I have had halimeda's growth slowed tremendously by hair algae. Also both combtooth blennies work on the red grape caulerpa and the rock work keeping them clean. It feels like my cuc is just the right size for this tank: enougn to keep up with algae but not too many that some are starving to death.

I have noticed that 2 of my 3 shaving brushes have disappeared. I am not giving up on them just yet however because I know they have a die back period and then send up new shoots so I am hoping that is the case. I plan to move a couple small zoa frag rocks down to that area so when the macros are not at their showiest the zoas can perhaps give me something else to admire instead. At least in theory that is what I hope.

I know I have said this before but I really love this tank. I find it so interesting with so many creatures to observe.

Old 01/07/2019, 07:44 PM   #380
vlangel
Registered Member

Little Jr is enroute to her new home. I wish her the best.

Old 01/07/2019, 07:51 PM   #381
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Bon voyage, Junior!

Old 01/08/2019, 06:21 AM   #382
vlangel
Registered Member

Last night at the last feeding I saw 1 of the dart fish! Woohoo! I am optimistic that all my new fish will be out feeding soon. The blue dart fish had such beautiful color in my tank, it was a very good choice.

Old 01/08/2019, 02:07 PM   #383
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Bye Junior! Glad the dartfish are coming around. They are a beautiful fish. When everyone is having fun and out, try and get another video if you can. Your descriptions are great, but a picture...er...video is worth a thousand words!

I can see why you love this tank. Lots of fun critters to watch and life to admire.

BTW, how are the other ponies?

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2019, 03:02 PM   #384
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Bye Junior! Glad the dartfish are coming around. They are a beautiful fish. When everyone is having fun and out, try and get another video if you can. Your descriptions are great, but a picture...er...video is worth a thousand words!

I can see why you love this tank. Lots of fun critters to watch and life to admire.

BTW, how are the other ponies?
The other ponies are great. With Jr off to her new home, I had time today to do a more thorough cleaning of their tank. I will try to get short videos of both tanks when I feed later this evening.

Old 01/09/2019, 10:04 AM   #385
Monkeyfish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
I will try to get short videos of both tanks when I feed later this evening.
Yay. Love your videos.

Over the years I've learned enough to know that I know very little and have a lot more to learn.

Current Tank Info: Taking a break
Monkeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2019, 12:50 PM   #386
reef cuber
Registered Member

Hi.. I have sea horses as well and I was wondering if you saw any benefits when you added the sand. My tank is BB and I hate it I want to add sand something fierce! I keep thinking the good bacteria in the sand could help with filtering some of the wastes.

reef cuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2019, 02:22 PM   #387
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyfish View Post
Yay. Love your videos.
I am still working on that video. Spirit and Spectre, the dart fish are elusive. They come out when the mood hits them, not necessarily when I am feeding.

I am still working with the gyre too to get the most beneficial flow.

Old 01/09/2019, 02:25 PM   #388
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef cuber View Post
Hi.. I have sea horses as well and I was wondering if you saw any benefits when you added the sand. My tank is BB and I hate it I want to add sand something fierce! I keep thinking the good bacteria in the sand could help with filtering some of the wastes.
Unfortunately I also hate a bb tank but my ponies got skin infections when I added sand. It may not have been the sand because I added some blennies and gobies too but I ended up putting the ponies back into a bb tank.

Old 01/09/2019, 06:53 PM   #389
vlangel
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/uWVcDmQFmEo
I hope this is worth a 1000 words. I switched the gyre to a forwards then backwards mode. I am hoping that helps clear the sanded on the left side of the tank.

Old 01/09/2019, 09:18 PM   #390
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Great video Dawn! You really gave us a tour. You have a great collection of fish, corals and plants. The peaceful community of fish is fun too. Enjoying the Gyre pump? It's sounds like it!

Old 01/10/2019, 06:25 AM   #391
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Great video Dawn! You really gave us a tour. You have a great collection of fish, corals and plants. The peaceful community of fish is fun too. Enjoying the Gyre pump? It's sounds like it!
Thanks Michael. I am loving the fish and inverts I have. As you can see from the video, the blennies do not suffer from being shy at all.

I counted 4 emerald crabs just minutes before the video but do you think I could find a single one when I was filming??? None of the other crabs made an appearance either.

I think I am down to just 1 peppermint shrimp in each tank. Maybe in this tank I will get a true cleaner shrimp. They seem to stay out in the open more.

I like that I have more room for coral and plants too.

I am liking the gyre a lot but I still struggle with the controller when it comes to programming it. I watched a few YouTube videos and that helped. I am an idiot when it comes to pushing buttons in a certain sequence, ha ha!

Old 01/10/2019, 06:34 AM   #392
vlangel
Registered Member

For those of you who followed Jr's progress, she arrived at her new home yesterday. Her new owner sent this last night:

She made it fine and is busy gobbling up BBS and copepods!!! Thanks again! do i owe you anything?

I told him all he owed me was to take good care of Jr.

Old 01/10/2019, 09:24 AM   #393
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I love your tank. The new blenny is really cool, as are the dartfish. They remind me of a bright colored garden eel! The fang and linear blennies are really fun to watch as well. I didn't see the barnacle blennies. Perhaps blending in and tough to see because of all of the other activity distracting me. What's the bright orange critter in the far right corner of your tank?

Also, why are you setting fire to the seahorse background?

I'm glad Jr. is doing well at his new home. Your response to the new owner made me smile

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2019, 11:27 AM   #394
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

How do you like the emerald crabs? I'm considering getting some. Any downsides?

I know what you mean with controllers. With our world getting more and more computerized, I prefer my aquarium experience to be more hands-on. The controller for my wave box is pretty simple, but there's much fiddling to be done! You and I are in the same boat, with our new pumps - new gizmos to figure out!

Old 01/10/2019, 05:03 PM   #395
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I love your tank. The new blenny is really cool, as are the dartfish. They remind me of a bright colored garden eel! The fang and linear blennies are really fun to watch as well. I didn't see the barnacle blennies. Perhaps blending in and tough to see because of all of the other activity distracting me. What's the bright orange critter in the far right corner of your tank?

Also, why are you setting fire to the seahorse background?

I'm glad Jr. is doing well at his new home. Your response to the new owner made me smile
I really like the orange spot blenny. He tends to stay on the bottom half of the tank while the linear blenny tends to hang up on the high perches so they get along fine with each other.

That is cool that you thought of a garden eel when you saw the dart fish because I thought the same thing. Its their face that is so similar and how their tail tends to sink. I guess they do bury in sand some but I have not witnessed any of that.

The barnacle blennies are really hard to see unless I point the camera straight at them and you know where to look. Even though they hang part way out of their holes they are not easy to see. With more traffic in the tank I am noticing that the barnacle blennies are not as bold to come out of their holes. I am going to need to be more intentional about target feeding them so that they get enough.

Ha ha, I am thinking that the orange critter in the far right corner may be my heater control. I will have to watch the video again to see if that is what you were seeing. I do have the heater laying on the sand horizontally so that it is more discreet.

I know, after I watched the video I could see the fire in the fireplace reflecting off the aquarium glass. I had just started it too so you can hear my kindling crackling a lot. We love our fireplace and use it 3Xs or more a week in the winter.

Old 01/10/2019, 05:13 PM   #396
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
How do you like the emerald crabs? I'm considering getting some. Any downsides?

I know what you mean with controllers. With our world getting more and more computerized, I prefer my aquarium experience to be more hands-on. The controller for my wave box is pretty simple, but there's much fiddling to be done! You and I are in the same boat, with our new pumps - new gizmos to figure out!
I am not seeing a downside to the emerald crabs. I have heard that they will sometimes munch on coral but I have never experienced that. I just love seeing them tucked into a little crevise cleaning away at the rock.

Yes, I am with you about generally staying away from computerized gadgets and controllers. I like the acronym KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid, (probably because I am too dumb to understand computerized gadgets, LOL).

Old 01/10/2019, 05:23 PM   #397
Michael Hoaster
Registered Member

Thanks Dawn, that's good to know. Sounds like I'll add some emerald crabs to my crew.

Yep. There is definitely a place for computers in the hobby, but I prefer to avoid them myself. Lot's of great Apex setups out there, and I understand why, but it's just not my thing (he typed blissfully from his 27 inch iMac).

Old 01/10/2019, 08:37 PM   #398
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
...but it's just not my thing (he typed blissfully from his 27 inch iMac).
"Ha ha, very good point," she replies on her 7" samsung galaxy tablet.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #399
vlangel
Registered Member

I generally say if I can keep a new fish for 2 weeks and they are eating, they are gonna be with me for a long time. All 5 of my new fish are eating well but I wished they would put a little weight on, especially the green clown gobies. They are really thin. The orange spot blenny is kind of thin too. The 2 dart fish were the last to come out and feed but they look the best of the new fish.

I am feeding 3Xs a day with 2 of the meals being meaty foods like mysis, fish frenzy and such. I am getting the beefiest looking micro stars that you have ever seen! Of course the crabs and coral like it too.

Unbelievably I am still not having any sort of serious algae problem. My macro algaes seem to be doing well and I guess they are keeping things like HA away. I do still have cyano/diatomous algae on half the sand bed which is very wierd. I have been considering a UV sterilizer. I used to have a 9 watt turbo twist on my 90 gallon tank years ago and it seems to me that it cleared up cyano/diatom algae a few times. I would probably only run it when I had rusty looking sand or were adding new fish. Right now I have no way to run it inline since this tank is an AIO. Sticking an ugly pump in the tank is worse than rust colored sand so I probably wont get it for a while.

I probably should check parameters. Who knows how high my nitrates and phosphates are with the way I am feeding.