Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/07/2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Wiskey
Registered Member

How much do you feed, and what are your PO4/N03 levels?

I see threads from time to time that say things like:

In my 1G nano every day I feed:
45 cubes of misys
6 tbs reef roids
53 cubes of gut loaded brine shrimp
2 packages of nori
2 cans of 6 different types of pelits
16 small containers of flake food
and a partridge in a pair tree.

Slight exaggeration, but you get the idea.

For those of you that have had an SPS tank running for a while, can you tell us how much you feed? Please include your nutrient levels, tank size and basics about your filtration.

For example, I have a 75G tank I use GFO and a skimmer along with a fuge. My PO4 fluctuates between 0.02 and 0.08 or so based on how old the GFO is. No3 I dose to 1, but it goes back to 0 before I dose again.

I feed a small pinch of flakes OR a small pinch of pellets OR about 1/2 cube of Misys OR brine shrimp.

About once per week I put in 1/4 sheet of Nori as well.
IMG_8655 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

Old 10/08/2017, 10:42 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

240 acropora display, 80G sump with only skimmer, heaters and water volume. Tank has been up since 1998 and moved 800 miles in about 2010.

One turn of NLS pellets 3x per day in Ehiem Auto feeder. 2-3 cubes of mysis 5-6 times a week. My fish never let any of this hit the bottom or get behind the rocks - they are really efficient.

N at .1 - clear on Salifert and only know about the .1 from ICP. P at .005-.01 on Hannah 736.

I filter with several hundred pounds of real live rock from the pacific that is established, 2-3" of sand and an older ER 12-2 (or 12-3) skimmer with a single Sedra 7000 sump. I don't need a fuge or any GFO on this tank. I do change about 20% of water each month.

jda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Bpb
Registered Member

Killer looking tank!

I feed 2-3 good moderate size pinches of PE Flakes and pellets every day (ran out of frozen, not carried anywhere locally).
Also feed 5-6 spoons of reef chili once or twice a week, target fed to mostly the lps.

Need to pick up some more algaemax pellets. My tangs and foxface really enjoyed that.

All in all I feed pretty heavily. Tank is 86 total gallon water volume net. Dose 4 ml of vodka per day, run a big skimmer. 12% water change a week

7.6 dkh
410 ppm ca
1-5 ppm NO3
0.03-0.1 ppm PO4

GAC passively in a media bag. No GFO currently, but I do have a reactor and some gfo on stand by in case PO4 climbs over 0.1, then Ill install it and run it for a month or so to strip the water back down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2017, 06:37 AM   #4
shih87
Registered Member

Feeding volume Believe highly depend on coral density rather than simply total volume of tank water.

For example, if coral density like my tank above, I usually feed 3 times volume than coral food manufacture suggested. Now I choose Aquaforest Coral food ABEV, power food, and I feed 3 times of Af suggestion.

My NO3/PO4 are 0.5ppm/0.01ppm.

Hope this help.

Zeovit DTOTQ Q3 2015
RC TOTM April 2016
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Q2 2017
shih87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2017, 10:32 AM   #5
WatDatThing
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shih87 View Post

Feeding volume Believe highly depend on coral density rather than simply total volume of tank water.

For example, if coral density like my tank above, I usually feed 3 times volume than coral food manufacture suggested. Now I choose Aquaforest Coral food ABEV, power food, and I feed 3 times of Af suggestion.

My NO3/PO4 are 0.5ppm/0.01ppm.

Hope this help.
Dude....that a pretty tank.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

WatDatThing is online now   Reply With Quote