Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 03/07/2018, 04:46 PM   #1
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
clam id please

just got this. name?


Attached Images
File Type: jpg clam1.jpg (57.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg clam2.jpg (50.5 KB, 74 views)
regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2018, 05:15 PM   #2
binder
Registered Member
 
binder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Saint Joseph, IL
Posts: 20
can you post pictures of his shell and his mouth? need more info to make accurate id.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2018, 07:29 PM   #3
Dsekula
Registered Member
 
Dsekula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by regent2010 View Post
just got this. name?
Hard to say is the shell smooth if so my bets on derasa if not rule that out. If that's fully open maybe a Maxima since they don't open quite as fully as others but without more pics it's hard to be sure. Squamous will grow much faster than maximas in general so if it's larger than 3-4" that's a decent chance. Maximas and squamous are hard to distinguish to me but other more knowledgeable reefers can probably spot the difference a mile off. Crocea is the least common around here but are usually easier to rule out since their usually in rock or have a half smooth shell from being removed and if not are more pointed and triangle looking.
Just my opinion from researching before I bought my clam lfs around here arnt to educated so we have to be , or get burned lol.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2018, 09:00 PM   #4
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
Definitely a derasa. I haven't seen very many with the spots in quite a while. That's a very nice looking clam.


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2018, 09:09 PM   #5
Dsekula
Registered Member
 
Dsekula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Pond View Post
Definitely a derasa. I haven't seen very many with the spots in quite a while. That's a very nice looking clam.
Really?!! I'm impressed if you can tell from that pic. May I ask how you made that id to educate myself? I've seen similar pattern on maximas and squamous too.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2018, 06:37 AM   #6
binder
Registered Member
 
binder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Saint Joseph, IL
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Pond View Post
Definitely a derasa. I haven't seen very many with the spots in quite a while. That's a very nice looking clam.
agreed. first instinct is derasa.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2018, 12:14 PM   #7
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
Really?!! I'm impressed if you can tell from that pic. May I ask how you made that id to educate myself? I've seen similar pattern on maximas and squamous too.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I'm certainly no expert but i have seen hundreds if not thousands of clams over the last 25 years of reefing and I can just recognize them most of the time. The blue green lip that turns into gold and then the pinkish body with the striping is classic derasa. Those blue spots were often seen on derasas years ago but you don't see them very often anymore. I also found one recently so maybe they are becoming available again. I think they were originally from the Solomon islands/Tonga but I'm sure they are farmed now. Also, while it's true that a smooth shell is most often a characteristic of derasas, they can have scutes on the shell. Mine has them similar to a squamosa.


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2018, 01:52 PM   #8
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Thx. I learn a lot from everyone


regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 12:22 AM   #9
Dsekula
Registered Member
 
Dsekula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Pond View Post
I'm certainly no expert but i have seen hundreds if not thousands of clams over the last 25 years of reefing and I can just recognize them most of the time. The blue green lip that turns into gold and then the pinkish body with the striping is classic derasa. Those blue spots were often seen on derasas years ago but you don't see them very often anymore. I also found one recently so maybe they are becoming available again. I think they were originally from the Solomon islands/Tonga but I'm sure they are farmed now. Also, while it's true that a smooth shell is most often a characteristic of derasas, they can have scutes on the shell. Mine has them similar to a squamosa.
Thanks!!! Good to know, thought all dursa were smooth I also thought I had a clam safe tank when I got my first one tho so there's always something to learn. Do you have any pics of the dursa that looks like a squamous that would be awesome to see?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2018, 08:24 PM   #10
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsekula View Post
Thanks!!! Good to know, thought all dursa were smooth I also thought I had a clam safe tank when I got my first one tho so there's always something to learn. Do you have any pics of the dursa that looks like a squamous that would be awesome to see?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


It's hard to get a good picture of it but hopefully you can see the shell.



A picture of all of my current clams.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2018, 08:25 PM   #11
Dsekula
Registered Member
 
Dsekula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sterling
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Pond View Post
It's hard to get a good picture of it but hopefully you can see the shell.



A picture of all of my current clams.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow those are some pretty and pretty awesome clams!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk


Dsekula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2018, 02:29 PM   #12
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Gorgeous


regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/15/2018, 09:57 PM   #13
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
@regent2010 - How's your derasa doing?


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 01:24 PM   #14
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
@mirror pond. Doing well. R u from Oregon?.


regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2018, 10:09 PM   #15
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Update picture


Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180316_125333.jpg (74.4 KB, 29 views)
regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2018, 11:19 AM   #16
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
Looking good. Yes, just outside of Portland.


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/30/2018, 02:37 AM   #17
regent2010
Registered Member
 
regent2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 130
Mirror pond, do u have more clam for me? i don't mind to make a 6 hours trip!.


regent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/02/2018, 09:19 PM   #18
Mirror Pond
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 357
I don't sell them but we have a couple of very good stores that carry quality clams in the area. I could check to see what they have in stock currently and get back with you.


Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.