Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Reef Breeders LEDs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07/07/2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

Photon 50 v2

Just picked up a 50 v2 must say very impressed with the build quality it's purty and sturdy....put it above my 210g 6ft tank and I like it alot better than the old quad t5 system I had...
Only down side is programming kinda takes a while to set all 6 channels for a 24hr period and then trying to figure out what channel is whay color....some documentation in the manual would have been nice...

All in all I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with my purchase this thing is sexy!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Johnnybgood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 12:48 AM   #2
br88dy
Registered Member

Yes, the programming seriously needs to be improved when the V3 comes out. We need a bigger display and an easier way to program the channels without trying to remember the numbers as we program each hour. I'm glad you're enjoying the new fixture. The V2 has really grown on me since I got it a month ago.

br88dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/08/2017, 05:02 AM   #3
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I've owned my V2 for about 6 months now. I found that each time I redid the program it got easier and easier. But after 8 or 10 programs I got to the point that I really don't 'play' with it any more. Not because it's difficult or takes too long, but because I had the look I wanted. As to remembering what you set for the previous hour, I always had a note pad and pen and wrote down the settings as I finished each hour. That way I didn't have to remember.

After a couple of trials, I started writing down what I wanted to program before I even started with the light. That made things even easier and I could think about what settings I wanted to use and not worry about losing the program due to 'thinking about it' for too long!

As to the ease or difficulty of programming the V2, think about it this way, you can get a fixture that is just as good as the V2 and even has much easier programming,
but it will cost you 50% to 100% more. Isn't that part of the reason we bought the V2 in the first place?

Old 07/08/2017, 09:09 AM   #4
Johnnybgood74
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I've owned my V2 for about 6 months now. I found that each time I redid the program it got easier and easier. But after 8 or 10 programs I got to the point that I really don't 'play' with it any more. Not because it's difficult or takes too long, but because I had the look I wanted. As to remembering what you set for the previous hour, I always had a note pad and pen and wrote down the settings as I finished each hour. That way I didn't have to remember.

After a couple of trials, I started writing down what I wanted to program before I even started with the light. That made things even easier and I could think about what settings I wanted to use and not worry about losing the program due to 'thinking about it' for too long!

As to the ease or difficulty of programming the V2, think about it this way, you can get a fixture that is just as good as the V2 and even has much easier programming,
but it will cost you 50% to 100% more. Isn't that part of the reason we bought the V2 in the first place?
Amen to that....and thank God for kids my 13yrs old daughter walked me through it..lol

Johnnybgood74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2017, 06:37 AM   #5
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnybgood74 View Post
Amen to that....and thank God for kids my 13yrs old daughter walked me through it..lol

I know what you mean. I used to be very up on new technologies. But now I'm lucky my wife is the tech guru at the county library and has to be on top of a dozen different platforms and software!