Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 06/17/2017, 03:55 PM   #251
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 9,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdisner View Post
They're out of warranty. I have to send them in for out of warranty repair. I was in the hospital for a very long time. Two of my AI Hydra 52 and my Apex shorted out and / or shutting off because of heat? Idk. Just seems like for 250+ a piece you would think that one would get more than just a couple years out of them.
I think most people led fixtures do work more than a couple of years!

I have black box leds made in China back in Dec of 2012 and they still work fine. The cases are a bit rusty because they switched to aluminum long after I bought. But they still work.


__________________
CadLight Artisan 125g DT, 40g sump & 50g display fuge. RB Photon V2, 3500gph DCT pump, 2 Crossflows & 2 RW8.
Build thread at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 11:56 AM   #252
Thornbreaker
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
If you do corals that need a bit less light, zoas, softies, mushrooms, and can hang them a bit higher off the water (12" to 18"), 2 of the 16" fixtures will be fine.

If you are considering sps corals or an anemone or a clam that like more light, then 3 is the answer and you can mount them at any height off the water.

If you look around you may find a 4' fixture (Reef Breeders Photon and Aquasanrise, EverGrow and maybe others) 1 fixture will do. I have a 5'x2'x20" tank and I use a 50" Reef Breeder Photon V2. They aren't cheap, but for all the features you get (assuming you'd want them) it's a good deal. Other brands with the same features cost considerably more.

Also several brands offer 24" fixtures and you'd only need 2 of those.

ReeFi-Lab offers a pendant with an adjustable glass lens and each one can cover from a 2'x2' to a 3'x3' square. So 2 of them would work as well. And like the high end fixtures, they are fully controllable and like the Reef Breeders, reasonably priced. I have one over my frag tank for a couple of months now and it seems to be better than the Ocean Revive I had there before... but it could just be better water parameters...
Hey Ron, follow up questions. It looks like Mars Aqua has a 300 Watt that does a 3'x2' spread. Think 1 of those and 1, 165 Watt would handle a 5' tank? Getting one of each saves about 50 to 60 bucks compared to 3, 165 Watt.

I'll be hanging these from a 10' ceiling, do you or anyone else have any recommendations on what hanging kit to use? (Since I'll need about 3.5' to 4' of length, I imagine this is longer than Mars Aqua's hanging kit provides).


Thornbreaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 05:07 PM   #253
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 9,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Hey Ron, follow up questions. It looks like Mars Aqua has a 300 Watt that does a 3'x2' spread. Think 1 of those and 1, 165 Watt would handle a 5' tank? Getting one of each saves about 50 to 60 bucks compared to 3, 165 Watt.

I'll be hanging these from a 10' ceiling, do you or anyone else have any recommendations on what hanging kit to use? (Since I'll need about 3.5' to 4' of length, I imagine this is longer than Mars Aqua's hanging kit provides).
Yes the 165 and a 300 should work good and give you light for anything. Always good to save money. My old 180g was 6' and I had 2 like the MA 300 and they covered just fine.

You can use the hanging kit they provide and modify it by changing out their short wire for a longer wire you can buy at Lowes, HD or Ace. It's just stainless wire.

Have fun. If you ever have questions, feel free to ask. I can't begin to tell you how many questions I asked during my first 3 or 4 years!

Ron


__________________
CadLight Artisan 125g DT, 40g sump & 50g display fuge. RB Photon V2, 3500gph DCT pump, 2 Crossflows & 2 RW8.
Build thread at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 07:28 PM   #254
Pdisner
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
Leds do have some issues, like shadowing under overhangs and ledges and even under dense branching coral like a pocillopora or birdsnest. They can also have red or green shadow edges or disco effect in the shimmer. MH have far less shadowing and no disco effect at all.

However, leds offer instant color control, the ability to ramp up and down for sunrise & sunset, the ability to do moonlights, the heavy blue lighting that make fluorescing corals glow, they run cooler and they use less electricity. Some of the newer led fixtures are even getting better looking than MH or t5 fixtures.

Leds used to be a lot more expensive than t5 or MH, but that's not true anymore. There are good, basic led fixtures out there for under $100.

Personally, I don't ever see myself switching back to MH. The new t5 that can be dimmed is interesting, but it's as expensive as anled fixture that can do 6 channel color control with a remote rather than buying and changing bulbs. Until something new AND better comes along, I think leds will just gain more and more popularity.


I agree. I've had my Hydra 52s for about 4years now and just had to buy a hydra 26 HD because of some random board problem that AI was having. I didn't meet the warranty, but they upgraded to the 26 because of this.
I won't go back either but I may add t5s somewhere down the line to even out the color


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Pdisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2017, 05:41 AM   #255
Ron Reefman
Registered Member
 
Ron Reefman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 9,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdisner View Post
I agree. I've had my Hydra 52s for about 4years now and just had to buy a hydra 26 HD because of some random board problem that AI was having. I didn't meet the warranty, but they upgraded to the 26 because of this.
I won't go back either but I may add t5s somewhere down the line to even out the color
I tried adding a t5 to the front of my tank and I didn't care for the look at all. It reduced the shimmer and was too warm a white and over powered the cool white and blue of the leds.

I've since added an 12K white and 445nm blue led strip to the front of my tank and an all 445nm blue strip to the back of my tank. I like the look MUCH better. You can see photos in my build thread. BTW, the photos don't do the new look justice as the camera doesn't do the blue very well. It akin to trying to get good photos of corals fluorescing under all blue leds, the photos just don't hold a candle to seeing it in person. The tank looks much deeper front to back now and it's way better in person.


__________________
CadLight Artisan 125g DT, 40g sump & 50g display fuge. RB Photon V2, 3500gph DCT pump, 2 Crossflows & 2 RW8.
Build thread at http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2593017
Ron Reefman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2017, 05:44 AM   #256
Pdisner
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
That's what the 26HD did for my Tank. It's like more 3D now. Little different leds than previous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Pdisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright 1999-2014