Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/16/2017, 06:15 AM   #1
Optionman
Registered Member

Ph Visualized

Our recent heat wave required closing all windows and running A/C 24/7. Heat broke and I was finally able to open windows and run attic fan at 7:15pm on the 14th. Check out my Ph graph from sump probe:

IMG_4506.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 06:22 AM   #2
Bpb
Registered Member

Same here. Minus the ability to finally open windows. It's been 95-100 here every day for a couple weeks now. AC running 24/7, lots of people in the house. Even my soda lime co2 scrubber can't touch it. Exhausting a whole canister in a few days. Ph bottoming out at 7.75 at night and getting only up to 8.15 in the day. When it was cooler and we could open windows I was around 8.1-8.4 during a 24 hr period

Bpb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 06:34 AM   #3
Optionman
Registered Member

I've always been 7.8-8.10 range til recent heat wave. Since u can't open windows have you thought about adding air stone in sump? I was about to go that route if heat didn't break. Good luck.

Old 06/16/2017, 07:05 AM   #4
Bpb
Registered Member

Won't an airstone just be adding more co2 rich air to the water. Isn't a skimmer basically just a giant bubbler?

Old 06/16/2017, 07:13 AM   #5
Kurt03
Registered Member

I have the same issue. I have a netatmo indoor outdoor thermometer that also measures indoor co2. Easy to compare indoor co2 and depressed tank pH. I'm working on getting a fresh air line to my skimmer.

Kurt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Optionman
Registered Member

Airstone should raise ph by driving co2 out, airstone cant add co2 without a co2 source

Old 06/16/2017, 08:06 AM   #7
BigDave
Registered Member

Ya'll need more house plants.

BigDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 08:22 AM   #8
Bpb
Registered Member

I just fail to see how a bubbler would impact more than a skimmer would. No house plants for me. Cats eat them

Old 06/16/2017, 03:10 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

That's one of the more extreme swings I've seen, but it seems feasible. Adding an airstone is unlikely to make much of a difference if the tank has a skimmer and the water surfaces are free of any films. It might lower or raise the pH, depending on time of day and the carbon dioxide content of the air. You could consider a carbon dioxide scrubber or getting fresher air to the tank, if the animals are having problems. If the tank is doing well enough, you could ignore the pH for the time being, although it's getting fairly low. Recalibrating and checking for any sort of electrical interference might be useful. We do see a lot of measurement issues.

Old 06/19/2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Optionman
Registered Member

Confirmation. Had to go back to A/C 24/7. IMG_4522.jpg

Old 06/19/2017, 05:03 PM   #11
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optionman View Post
Airstone should raise ph by driving co2 out, airstone cant add co2 without a co2 source

Uhhhh the CO2 source is the air in the house which is why the ph is low in the first place.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 05:32 PM   #12
Optionman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead View Post
Uhhhh the CO2 source is the air in the house which is why the ph is low in the first place.

No. The direct CO2 source is my case is a Ca reactor which returns a 24/7 drip of 6.4-6.7 Ph effluent. Just as people recommend aerating the effluent before returning it to the system, adding an air stone in the sump near the effluent return helps drive out excess CO2 and raise Ph.

I understand CO2 is present in the air, that's what this thread was started to demonstrate (closed A/C home vs open window with attic fan running).

Old 06/19/2017, 05:57 PM   #13
foredababy
Registered Member

My air pump is outside. It pumps low co2 air (outside) into my sump. The effect is minimal though, only decreasing about .1-.15 in Ph. I call it decrease in Ph because is less acidic. Not trying to be confusing, I see it said both ways.

Current Tank Info: 109 gal mixed reef
foredababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 06:37 PM   #14
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

When I was in the Midwest with AC on from May to early October, I exchanged air in my fish room at 5:30 or 6:00 in the AM when the outside temp was in the 70s. The air was full of humidity, but so was my fish room. A 6" Vent fan can evacuate the room several times over in one-half of an hour. Of course, this is not feasible if there is no fish room.

If you have a CaRx, keeping the sump doors open can help a bit - the CO2 can stay trapped in the stand some.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2017, 04:19 AM   #15
Optionman
Registered Member

I'm not chasing any particular Ph level, just interesting to see how sensitive Ph is to various factors. I've seen my Ph crash after having a house full of people for several hours during the winter.

Old 06/20/2017, 09:03 AM   #16
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

No it won't when the surrounding air has a high level of CO2.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2017, 09:11 AM   #17
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

When the surrounding air is high in CO2, here a few options for raising pH:

an outside air line to the skimmer;

a CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer air intake line;

using calcium hydroxide( kalk) for some or all of the alk dosing in lieu of some or all of other methods like a calcium reactor or carbonate dosing. For example : dialing back the CO2 flow to a calcium reactor will raise the pH of the reactor effluent which also results in less alk being dosed from it; making up the difference with kalk which uses CO2 will raise the pH.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote