Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05/11/2017, 05:37 PM   #1
All__talk
Registered Member

Anemone for a mixed reef?

Iím currently shopping for a pair of clowns for my tank and would like to provide an anemone that might host them. Because I want to preserve the peace in a community tank I am limiting my clown choice to a version of ocellaris. I have looked at the sticky of what nem host which clown, and none of the natural hosts for ocellaris seem like a good fit for a smaller mixed reef.

So Iím seeking advice on how, or even if I can, make this work. A BTA or LTA seem like they might be options but certainly are not guaranteed to host. Whatís my best plan?

The tank is a 46 gal bow front with about 25 gal sump/refugium, been running and stable for about 8 years now. Flow is good with about 800 gal through the return and two RW-8s. Lighting is just OK with two 150 HQI MH and two 96w PC actinic. Current inhabitants include; Coral Beauty, Royal Gramma, Starry Blenny, Pin Cushion Urchin and various snails and hermits. Recent picture below.

Gary

Current Tank Info: 46G Bowfront

Last edited by All__talk; 05/11/2017 at 05:49 PM.
All__talk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2017, 07:06 PM   #2
brad
Registered Member

There is a reason bta's are so popular. That is the only anemone I'd put in a tank that small.

brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Swayze27
Registered Member

I'd go with a martens ...........kidding, rose BTA.

Swayze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/11/2017, 07:56 PM   #4
Ebone
Registered Member

lots of people do it, BTA sting but imo are a better option for small tank (sting not as potent) they are however nutty... mine moves a few inches throughout the day, has been doing it since being in my tank. I keep things off its rock and things all go well... make sure you protect powerheads though... don't want one getting in there

Ebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/12/2017, 09:10 AM   #5
All__talk
Registered Member

So the BTA is the clear choice, excellent.

Will my lighting be an issue? My plan will be to relocate the toadstool and place the nem on the solo rock to the right.

Old 05/12/2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Swayze27
Registered Member

Lighting should be fine, the anemone will relocate to wherever it wants to be. Make sure to cover powerheads, some use foam, I made plastic screen covers for mine to help eliminate build up and the need to rinse foam covers all the time. Good luck. Also, shut powerheads off for a little while when you introduce the anemone into the tank, this will assist in allowing it to attach. Once it is attached, slowly build the flow back up. If the anemone is being shipped to you, you may want to acclimate it to your lights using screen or something similar to dim the light. Shipped ones can be in a low light situation for a while causing sensitivity to the high lighting initially. If it's coming from your lfs it should already be under lighting and good to go.

Last edited by Swayze27; 05/12/2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05/12/2017, 12:43 PM   #7
All__talk
Registered Member

I get that nems are rebels and wont be told where to live, but is it going to destroy my other coral on its quest for its happy place?

Old 05/12/2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Swayze27
Registered Member

Doubt it

Old 05/12/2017, 04:22 PM   #9
OrionN
Anemones

I would get a H. malu for that tank. Malu will host Ocellaris or Percula, stay on the sand and get max size of about 6-8 inches. Perfect anemone for small reef tank.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: 320 anemones reef. Angels: Regal(3), Watanabei(2), Flame(3). Copperband But. Tangs: Purple, Powder Blue, Yellow,Chevron. Foxface, Harlequin Tusk. Marine Beta(3), Loepard wrasse(3). A. percula(2 pairs)
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2017, 05:16 PM   #10
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I would get a H. malu for that tank. Malu will host Ocellaris or Percula, stay on the sand and get max size of about 6-8 inches. Perfect anemone for small reef tank.
I agree. Malu is one of my favorites. They come in some really nice colors too.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/13/2017, 08:38 PM   #11
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All__talk View Post
I get that nems are rebels and wont be told where to live, but is it going to destroy my other coral on its quest for its happy place?
Who knows? There are no guarantees.

Some corals will just sluff off a nem running across them, others may be affected.
RTBA's are quite innocuous, that is, they are not very dangerous to corals for the most part.

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/16/2017, 09:38 PM   #12
Ebone
Registered Member

mine rbta set up shop on a neon green motni cap for a few days... all said and done.. no ill effect on the monti... frogspawn seemed careless too

Ebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2017, 12:45 PM   #13
All__talk
Registered Member

Update...

I found two of the cutest da Vinci clowns and a small BTA, all seem to be doing well. Short video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9u4JctLPw

Gary

Old 06/16/2017, 02:01 PM   #14
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All__talk View Post
Update...

I found two of the cutest da Vinci clowns and a small BTA, all seem to be doing well. Short video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz9u4JctLPw

Gary

I'd try to feed that anemone small foods often to get it to put on some size. Those clowns could really stress out an anemone that is so small. I agree that a Malu or even a couple malu's would have been a better choice. They don't really move around like BTAs do.

pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 12:00 PM   #15
All__talk
Registered Member

I have been feeding nem weekly (mysis), and it seems to take the food well.

So far the nem seems to be tolerating the clowns well, but it does close up after lights out and remains fairly small until the lights come on the next day, is this normal for a BTA? It has not moved much, it has settled in below a ledge in the rock right at the sand line. My lighting is not that strong and I kind of expected it t move up the rock toward the light.

I would consider a Malu but I don't think I have enough light, at least not at the sand bed.

Gary

Old 06/19/2017, 03:05 PM   #16
davocean
Registered Member

Malu do not need a ton of light, not compared to most others, and their size and sand dwelling do make them a pretty good option.

As to the comment on corals and nems, very few corals can handle their sting, usually not the ones most want, xenia, gsp are the only 2 off the top of my head that seem to tolerate or deal w/ nem stings

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 03:53 PM   #17
OurCoralReef
Registered Member

Bta is a good choice its more common and wont break the bank you should get a bta clone (aqua cultured) they they have a much better chance of surviving
Btas like rock holes to Settle in so give it a hole when u set it and if nothing bothers it, it will stay there
lighting and flow is a given

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2017, 04:01 PM   #18
davocean
Registered Member

I think BTA's are actually one of the worst choices for a mixed, they just wander too much and crawl all over rock work as they do, and that often means crawling over, stinging and killing all corals in their path.

I'll never do a BTA in a mixed reef again personally.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2017, 06:29 AM   #19
Irishdolphin
Registered Member

Also beware of BTAs splitting. You could start with one and end up with many which may not be easy to remove.

Irishdolphin is offline   Reply With Quote