Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/16/2017, 11:52 AM   #1
moe103
Registered Member

Butterfly QT question

I am in the process of qt a semilarvatus. He's been through two rounds of Prazi and is eating nicely out of the water column.

I am working on making sure he doesn't have Ich. I can't decide between cupramine or TTM?

I would love some feedback from experience butterfly aquarists like Matt or Peter.

Thanks

moe103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/17/2017, 06:09 AM   #2
caribfan
Registered Member

Am I the Matt you're speaking of?

I know SDguy (peter) uses/has used cupramine for treating butterflyfish. I treat all my fish, including centropyge angels and an arothoron puffer with cupramine and have almost never had an issue.

Having said that, I think TTM is not a bad method provided you have the equipment and saltwater to do it.

If you are going to use cupramine, do it slowly. I usually cut the dose in half and extend the ramp up period. Also, you need to leave the fish in treatment at an effective level for 30 days.

So if the required dose on the first day is say 3.0 ml, I would add 1.5 ml and wait 48, then add the second 1.5 ml. If at any point the fish stops eating or exhibits signs of stress, I hit the tank with carbon and do a large water change.

I also recommend having a copper test kit on hand, they kind of all suck, but I usually go with the seachem one since i'm using a sachem medication.

What butterfly are you treating?

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/18/2017, 01:37 AM   #3
moe103
Registered Member

Yes, you are the Matt I was hoping would respond. I am QTing a semilarvatus. Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Old 06/18/2017, 12:38 PM   #4
caribfan
Registered Member

No problem, what size is your quarantine tank? Is the fish eating well? Semis are one of my favorites.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Old 06/18/2017, 06:32 PM   #5
moe103
Registered Member

It's a 29 gallon long. He's eating brine shrimp, black worms, LRS and clams. He loves to eat.

I have everything for the TTM. If you had everything for TTM, which route would you take?

Thanks

Old 06/18/2017, 10:11 PM   #6
caribfan
Registered Member

Probably TTM, though I've never actually done it before. I like the theory behind it and it's much shorter than cupramine treatment.

Be sure you get your timing right though and are extra diligent with sterilizing all surfaces.

Current Tank Info: