Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/10/2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

SPS Filled IM Nuvo 10 Build

So this is my first time keeping sps, have been wanting to for a while and decided to give it a go. The tank is an IM nuvo 10 and Iím running a nanobox duo plus m (overkill I know but it was laying around so I was like sure) and circulation is the stock return and a hydor koralia 425, almost used my old sw-4 but thought that would be overkill in a 10 gallon. Stocking is a couple acros, some Scarface zoas, and my Pygmy cherub angelfish from kp aquatics. I know some people will say that this tank is too small for him, but he seems perfectly content and if he didnít I would move him to a larger aquarium. Iím running filter floss, carbon, and gfo in the first chamber in the back of the tank, and a refugium in the middle. Iím using the stock return but may upgrade to the sicce 0.5 or 1.0 in a couple months. Thanks for stopping by, and advice is appreciated.

Bobbitworm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2018, 09:31 PM   #2
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I did a wc today, tank is looking great right now, not much to update on beyond that, here are the numbers from today.
SG 1.026
temp. 79.6
NO3 3
CA 425
MG 1400
Kh 8.2

Old 10/16/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Cdogsailr
Registered Member

All looks good and best of luck with the nuvo 10. I've been running a nuvo 16 for many years and enjoy it very much. I dabbled in sps a couple of years back but found it too challenging amidst even the most subtle parameter changes. Keep in mind these changes occur very fast in a nano which the sps don't care for. I've stuck to mostly lps, softies, anemones and a pair of clowns. Everyone is settled in and I do a 5 gal WC every two weeks. I ditched the IM lights and use a Maxspect Razor which is worlds apart from the IM lights. Try getting your nitrates down lower. I run ChemiPure Blue and Phosguard which do the trick. I have an IM skimmer which work great but sounds like a rock tumbler. Way too noisy. I even had a 3 gal IM Pico running for a few years with some softies and a damsel. I thing the key in nano's is large frequent WC's.

Cdogsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/17/2018, 01:27 PM   #4
Bobbitworm13
Registered Member

I prefer to run nitrates around 3-5, sps seem to color up best and have better pe around these numbers. The reason I got into sps is for the challenge, so far not that tough but I’ll see. Everything seems happy with good pe right now, not much to update on