Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > SpectraPure
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/10/2018, 09:25 AM   #1
joejvj
Registered Member

CO2 and Well Water

I purchased a Spectrapure 4 stage unit about 2 years ago and everything continues to work great except I go through a lot of DI resin. It exhausts about every 150-175 gallons. I have a TDS of 4 going into the DI cartridge.

I'm on a private well, and everything I read says that dissolved CO2 is an issue with well water and will use up resin quickly. Using several online calculators I tried to determine my CO2 level based on the following tap water parameters:

pH: 7.1
KH: 154 ppm
Temp: 55F

I get results from 24 to 29ppm using various calculators.

Is that high or low? Is this a somewhat accurate way to measure CO2? And finally, do you think this my problem with DI resin being used so quickly? (BTW, I'm using your Silica Buster cartridge).

Thanks for your response.

joejvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 08:03 AM   #2
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

That's pretty high. During some parts of the year, we see over 40 ppm. We have a CO2 Test Kit that directly measures the CO2 in the RO water, free of other influences.

http://spectrapure.com/TEST-KITS-MET...oxide-Test-Kit

A ppm of CO2 presents as much or more of an ionic load than a ppm of TDS, so you are reducing the life of the DI cart by a multiple of approx 32/4, or 8 times over just having the 4 ppm of TDS.

Scott in Support at SpectraPure

Old 02/12/2018, 10:23 AM   #3
GQuinn
Registered Member

Whats the best way to get rid of the CO2?

GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 10:32 AM   #4
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Disconnect the RO output from the DI input on the system.

Run the RO water into a barrel and de-gassify with as many air stones and time as needed to bring the CO2 down to between 5 and 10 ppm.

You will need the CO2 test kit to be sure of how long it actually takes. It will take that long every time in the future.

Then pump or gravity feed that water through the DI section at a rate of no more than 200 ml/min.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 03/11/2018, 04:06 PM   #5
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Would I be able to use an RO Booster pump to pump the water into a DI canister, from a "de-gassing" barrel? I have a spare I'm not using.

I too have very high CO2. My RO water is 1-3ppm but I'm going through a DI cartridge every 100 gallons.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2018, 08:53 AM   #6
SpectraPure
RC Sponsor

Yes. Put it on the floor next to the reservoir. Plumb through with a bulkhead fitting. Limit the flow through the DIs to 300 ml/min.

It's good to have our CO2 Test Kit to know when you have actually minimized the CO2 in the reservoir.

Support at SpectraPure

Old 03/12/2018, 09:40 AM   #7
JMetaxas
Registered Member

OK, thanks. I'll place an order soon. I need a RO membrane and a pressure gauge too.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote