Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 01/07/2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Splendid dotty back can I add one?

My LFS has a splendid dotty back I really like. My question is can I add it to my 90 gallon tank? I heard it can be quite aggressive but the one in the store seems quite timid and is housed with some clownfish. He seems to be in a good temper, perhaps captive breed? On the other hand I have heard storyís of giant 5 inch plus splendid s killing smaller fish and inverts all over the tank.

So any way my 90 gallon tank stock-list includes

Foxface
Blue eye kole
Lawnmower blenny
Trio of chromis
Pair of pj cardinals
Pair of clownfish

Plan to add
Hovens wrasse
Fairy wrasse or flame angel

So what do you think can I add one to my system? Or would it lead to a disaster?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blizzard 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 08:30 PM   #2
zooman72
Registered Member

I have had that species a couple of times over the years, and they have not posed much of an issue with aggression. I also never had one reach 5" either - mine topped out around 3" or so. If you start with a smaller one or one that is captive-bred, I think it would be fine with the fish you have.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks for very quick response. Glad to hear they worked out for you I guess I will give it a try. I am also confused on size LA says 3 inches but I have seen many other retailers and articles say 5 inch max and one article even said 8! Thought I think 3 is most common it seems,Thanks.

Old 01/07/2018, 08:59 PM   #4
zooman72
Registered Member

No problem, glad to help, and I have come across the 5" max size as well (not the 8" max, and that seems way off), but I have never seen them that big or had them grow that big.

Like I said, you should be fine acquiring one, and they are noted to be less aggressive with other fishes, but maybe not to shrimp, so if you have any that might pose an issue.

Good luck - I love dottybacks, and have kept orchids, diadems, elongates, yellows, neons, purples, royals, splendids, Sankey's, Springer's, and sunrise over the years. Currently have a yellow (ORA captive-bred), purple, and sunrise in different tanks, and looking to add one to one of my office tanks at work (have a home office too), just not sure of the species to choose.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
Old 01/07/2018, 09:25 PM   #5
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Wow thatís a lot of dottybacks, Iím glad to hear that it should work especially from someone with a lot of dotty back experience. I am also glad that the 5 inch max size is not true or common I donít want I giant Doty back in my tank. I donít plan on keeping shrimp just crabs and snails. Well any way thanks for the help and advice I hope to pick it up next weekend.

Old 01/07/2018, 09:27 PM   #6
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Oh and here is where I found the 8 inch max size http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcs3/index.htm

Old 01/07/2018, 11:07 PM   #7
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
Wow thatís a lot of dottybacks, Iím glad to hear that it should work especially from someone with a lot of dotty back experience. I am also glad that the 5 inch max size is not true or common I donít want I giant Doty back in my tank. I donít plan on keeping shrimp just crabs and snails. Well any way thanks for the help and advice I hope to pick it up next weekend.
That is a lot of dottybacks, but that is over 20 years or so, and a lot of aquariums. Remember, I am not saying that the 5" max is not true, just that I have not personally seen it - I would personally file that under "extraordinary example". Again, I think you are good as they have never been very aggressive (or even aggressive at all) for me (as others have observed), and I have had three (that I recall) over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard 123 View Post
Oh and here is where I found the 8 inch max size http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcs3/index.htm
Yeah, that is the only place I find that size noted - every other source lists the max length at 13cm/ 5.1in, so I think that article is in error. It even states that the splendid is the largest species, and that is also incorrect.

Old 01/08/2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok thanks so I guess 5 is possible but not likely and 8 is a error in data. Well anyway as long as they will work in the tank in terms of aggressiveness and compatibility the splendid would work for me.

Old 01/08/2018, 09:07 PM   #9
zooman72
Registered Member

You are welcome, and I predict it will be fine in your aquarium - good luck.

Old 01/09/2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it.

Old 01/09/2018, 03:44 PM   #11
jmicky41
Registered Member

I had one once, although I don't recall aggression towards other fish, I did eat my cleaner shrimp.

Current Tank Info: 125 fowlr: 280watts VHO, 75LBS of mixed rock, Deltec AP600 skimmer, wet dry, GRi 518 return pump, 15 watt Aqua UV,(2) tunze 6000 on a 7095, goldflake angel(RIP), flame angel(8 years old), mitratus butterfly, yellow tang, majestic rabbitfsih
jmicky41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 04:42 PM   #12
cl800
Registered Member

My LFS had one once, and I was co-incidentally bringing in a bunch of corals I had pruned - for store credit. The Splendid Dottyback was one of the prettiest fish I had seen in a long while and I was sucked in. I read that there was some risk of aggression, but he seemed somewhat peaceful at the shop, so I went for it as he was "free" sort of - I did an even trade for the frags.

He went into my 120g which had an awesome group of 11 blue green reef chromis that actually schooled quite often. I also had 7 threadfin cardinals which also stayed in a close group. Within two days, the dottyback had shredded the fins of half of each group. They weren't able to swim well enough to eat properly and they were all soon dead. In a month, I was down to one chromis. I would tread very carefully with this fish. My "free" fish turned out to be my most expensive one in the end.

cl800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 07:56 PM   #13
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Wow, that is what scares me about this fish still I think I am going to chance, but am still considering the orchid dottyback also in case I change my mind. Glad to hear another success story makes me feel more comfortable about this fish. Well it is a risk but I think I might just try it based on others have generally positive experiences. Thanks

Old 01/12/2018, 10:51 PM   #14
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

I decided to get a orchid. I liked the bright purple and being a less aggressive dotty back, so far he is hidden somewhere hopping to see him tommorow but this is probably not going to happpen.

Old 01/14/2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Blizzard 123
Registered Member

Ok so Iíve had the orchid dottyback for a 3 days now and have not seen it cone out once? I looked around and no body so it must be in the tank still in the rocks I guess. Should I try to find it? In the rocks or just keep waiting? Iím starting to worry a little now, thanks.