Reef Central Online Community
Live Aquaria

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/04/2019, 12:05 PM   #1
cap11885
Registered Member

Controller's and automation

I know there are a few viable options for system controllers. What setups do you use and how have they helped you?

Build: 250dd, icecap 48xl sump, reef octo skimmer, 4 koralia pumps w/controller, hydra lig

Current Tank Info: 220 mixed
cap11885 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2019, 12:24 PM   #2
Boochika
Registered Member

Something I'm interested in too but only willing to buy controllers reasonably priced based on my current and future tank inhabitants.

I think pH, salinity, temp are must haves. Being able to control pump, power heads, skimmer, etc. Is most likely unnecessary for me right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Anyone know about assessor fish? Seems cool but I haven't seen much about them on the forum

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon simple set up with sump filtration
Boochika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Hudzon
Registered Member

There are many options, I would suggest used APEX units, you will start seeing more and more of them as people upgrade for trident and wifi.

Apex has the largest user base and support channels available.

Hudzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2019, 11:08 AM   #4
ispookie666
Registered Member

Add GHL to it. Always backward compatible

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ispookie666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2019, 11:41 AM   #5
cap11885
Registered Member

Ghl?

Build: 250dd, icecap 48xl sump, reef octo skimmer, 4 koralia pumps w/controller, hydra lig

Old 02/05/2019, 01:46 PM   #6
reeftivo
Skim junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap11885 View Post
Ghl?
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/store/

Current Tank Info: 60 gal cube/20g tideline sump-mixed reef, Aquamaxx c-tech Ca Rx, Akula 160 skimmer, paxbellum N18, mitras LX7 lighting, Reef angel controller
reeftivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2019, 10:24 PM   #7
cap11885
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ispookie666 View Post
Add GHL to it. Always backward compatible

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Doesn't apex have their own dosing option?

Old 02/10/2019, 10:25 PM   #8
cap11885
Registered Member

Im really interested in hearing what functions of the controller you actually use and why

Old 02/11/2019, 02:02 PM   #9
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
Im really interested in hearing what functions of the controller you actually use and why
I do auto top off, auto water changes, heater control with backup and cooling control. I control my RODI to fill the DI storage and salt mixing tank. I control my return pump and all other pumps in the system. The controller I use is no longer available as a new unit. I hopefully have explained what I was doing enough to help someone that wants to do the same things on a different controller. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/...-build/?page=3

n2585722 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2019, 02:27 PM   #10
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
I do auto top off, auto water changes, heater control with backup and cooling control. I control my RODI to fill the DI storage and salt mixing tank. I control my return pump and all other pumps in the system. The controller I use is no longer available as a new unit. I hopefully have explained what I was doing enough to help someone that wants to do the same things on a different controller. http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/...-build/?page=3
Thanks for sharing your post. Sorry to hear that DA finally threw in the towel. They just came too late to the party vs. Apex, and probably could have kept the ReefKeeper Lite as a cheaper alternative to the Apex, but I guess it wasn't profitable or growing either. I know you were always a big help with DA products including the Archon. Cool to see all of the ways you used it.

The ReefKeeper Lite still is a great self-contained simple controller that you can buy used for the price of a temperature controller, but it does so much more. My nano used to use it for dosing (timers), lighting (timers and 0-10v dimming), feed modes, heating and cooling. Fantastic value for ~$200.

I've used the Aquatronica in the past (was probably ahead of its time, still reminds me of the GHL controllers), but you can't beat the user interface and user base of Apex. I think that Neptune, like Ecotech, has the market cornered on interface and looks, with solid products to boot (which also significantly helps keep the used-sale value high). I know there have been incidents report of Apex controllers failing, but with such a big user base, you'd expect more complaints, vs. other controllers where you never hear complaints.

Apex is currently great, and would be even better if I ever bothered to program anything custom (I finally got around to lowering Vortechs to 10% during feed mode!).

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2019, 02:42 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

I have an Apex and here is what it does
Controls
Auto Top Off
Auto water change
Calcium reactor
Return pump
Skimmer
Tank lights on/off
Reverse osmosis pump
Carbon dosing pump
Controls tank cooling fans

Monitors for leaks and if leak is detected shuts down all pumps.
Monitors PH of tank and Ca reactor and tank salinity
Monitors flow rate of return, ats, skimmer
Monitors and controls heaters.

Sounds alarm and sends email if certain things fall out of excepted level or a leak is detected.

You can also have it auto feed and more.

Makes my life much easier and I can leave my tank alone for a priod of time and check and control things on my phone via Apex Fusion.

I have the Apex Clasic with 3 EB8's and the modules PM1, PM2, FFM, ALD and a breakout box.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 3 250W MH + 4 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel

Last edited by hkgar; 02/11/2019 at 02:47 PM.
hkgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2019, 04:07 PM   #12
cap11885
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
I have an Apex and here is what it does
Controls
Auto Top Off
Auto water change
Calcium reactor
Return pump
Skimmer
Tank lights on/off
Reverse osmosis pump
Carbon dosing pump
Controls tank cooling fans

Monitors for leaks and if leak is detected shuts down all pumps.
Monitors PH of tank and Ca reactor and tank salinity
Monitors flow rate of return, ats, skimmer
Monitors and controls heaters.

Sounds alarm and sends email if certain things fall out of excepted level or a leak is detected.

You can also have it auto feed and more.

Makes my life much easier and I can leave my tank alone for a priod of time and check and control things on my phone via Apex Fusion.

I have the Apex Clasic with 3 EB8's and the modules PM1, PM2, FFM, ALD and a breakout box.
I would like to hear how it handles your ca reactor and auto water changes

Old 02/11/2019, 04:08 PM   #13
cap11885
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2585722 View Post
How does it control auto water changes????

Old 02/11/2019, 04:17 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
I would like to hear how it handles your ca reactor and auto water changes
Apex monitors the PH of the reactor effluent and if it drips to 6.3 it shuts the reactor pump ( a masterflex) and the CO2 regulator off.

I have the Apex DOS pumps and I program them to change ot a given amount of water per day. One pumps out the old water and the other pumps in the new water.

180 gallon, 30 gallon sump, 3 250W MH + 4 ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Reef Octopus CaRx

Current Tank Info: 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head, Yellow/Purple, Hoevans, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, Purple & Atlantic Blue Tangs, Matted Filefish, 2 Percula Clown, 4 PJ Cardinals, Swallowtail Angel
Old 02/11/2019, 04:17 PM   #15
n2585722
Registered Member

Quote:
How does it control auto water changes????

It controls the pumps used for auto water change. The pumps are in my garage. One pumps water out of the refugium section of the sump to the house drain and the other pumps water from water storage in the garage to the tank. They run 3 times a day for 15 minutes at this time. If I want more water changed I add more time to the timers. The programming is in my build thread in the previous link. The controller info starts on page 3. All I have to do is add the salt to the mix tank. I do have to transfer form the mix tank to the tank used for the water storage at this time. I am working on automating this. It does auto refill the mix tank with DI once the mixed water is transferred to the storage tank. I still need to get more pumps to completely automate this. Right now I only have one pump used to mix the salt water and pump it to the storage tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

n2585722 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/11/2019, 04:23 PM   #16
cap11885
Registered Member

Im sure ill be setting a ca reactor up soon. An apex is in my radar

Old 02/11/2019, 04:52 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

for a calcium reactor a masterflex pump should be first.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368618