Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06/10/2017, 03:32 PM   #1
DerekTF
Registered Member

Frogspawn skeleton question.

I have two frogspawns in my tank both are in the middle of splitting and my anemone has moved extremely close to one of them. When I went to move the frogspawn i broke its skeleton off of its plug. For now the frogspawn is wedged into a rock but this only temporary until I have a better place to move it.

The skeleton on the frogspawn that broke is quite small compared to the splitting head. My question is do the skeletons grow? The plug it was on kept it elevated off the rock nicely but now that it is tucked into a whole I'm not 100% happy with the placement. I'm going to end up attaching it back to its plug but I was curious about the skeleton growth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DerekTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 04:12 PM   #2
lilyost4290
Registered Member

Yeah it grows

lilyost4290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 04:54 PM   #3
coral_addict
Registered Member

The skeleton will keep growing as long as the coral is healthy. In fact, a frogspawn can only split if the skeleton is growing, because the skeleton has to split too

Current Tank Info: 28g mixed reef, slowly converting to SPS dominated w/ LED lighting
coral_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/10/2017, 04:57 PM   #4
DerekTF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coral_addict View Post
The skeleton will keep growing as long as the coral is healthy. In fact, a frogspawn can only split if the skeleton is growing, because the skeleton has to split too
Well that is good to know. I already put it back on its plug. That one is splitting. The other frog spawn I have has budded a super small head near its base. Now I just need to figure out how to get the rbta away from them. Any tips?

Old 06/10/2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Lance M.
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTF View Post
Now I just need to figure out how to get the rbta away from them. Any tips?
Personally, I move corals, not the anemone. Currently I have four bta's (two green and two red, all different) and since they have the ability to move were they want it makes more sense to leave them alone and move the coral to a different location.

Relatively speaking, any time you move an anemone, you present stress and the possibly of damaging it. The anemone may even move back to the same place the next day.

Roaming anemone is just part of having an anemone. Even if it never moves an inch, it is a possibility.

Some indirect means of moving it may be something like redirecting water flow in a way to get it to move to a different location.

Lance M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/11/2017, 08:08 AM   #6
DerekTF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M. View Post
Personally, I move corals, not the anemone. Currently I have four bta's (two green and two red, all different) and since they have the ability to move were they want it makes more sense to leave them alone and move the coral to a different location.

Relatively speaking, any time you move an anemone, you present stress and the possibly of damaging it. The anemone may even move back to the same place the next day.

Roaming anemone is just part of having an anemone. Even if it never moves an inch, it is a possibility.

Some indirect means of moving it may be something like redirecting water flow in a way to get it to move to a different location.
Yea. That's what I read. I think there is too much flow on the one side of my tank but for now there is plenty of room of my coral and the anemone. I've been moving the other corals around. Waiting for the bta to hopefully find a good spot.

Old 06/19/2017, 11:57 PM   #7
SpottedMoocow
Registered Member

Small distinction, it's not the skeleton that is splitting, it is the flesh that is splitting that will eventually harden and turn into skeleton. So the skeleton will always "grow" upwards not down (as in not encrust or grow more into the rock).

SpottedMoocow is online now   Reply With Quote