Reef Central Online Community
Tunze USA

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 05/31/2018, 07:24 PM   #2976
cdavmd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 23
Hi, wondering if someone might have the answer to my question. Can the Bubble King DC 130 be used the the RD3 DC pump? I see that the 180 can but I can't seem to find info on its use with the 130.

I am looking for a skimmer to use in my Reefer 425XL and I've been told the 180 is too much for my system and the 130 is a better fit. I really want the skimmer to have a DC pump. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks!
C


cdavmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05/31/2018, 09:40 PM   #2977
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavmd View Post
Hi, wondering if someone might have the answer to my question. Can the Bubble King DC 130 be used the the RD3 DC pump? I see that the 180 can but I can't seem to find info on its use with the 130.

I am looking for a skimmer to use in my Reefer 425XL and I've been told the 180 is too much for my system and the 130 is a better fit. I really want the skimmer to have a DC pump. Any help greatly appreciated.
thanks!
C
The RD3 cannot be used with the Doube Cone 130. Itís too large. The AC Red Dragon pump is a time proven pump that happens to be a great pump. That said, there may be a variable speed DC style skimmer pump coming out that will work with the Double Cone 130 in the not so distant future but we donít have details or a release date let alone know what model skimmers will be supported.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06/01/2018, 03:49 AM   #2978
cdavmd
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 23
Thanks!


cdavmd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/09/2018, 03:32 PM   #2979
Jay Ellul
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 180
A controllable pump on a skimmer is no necessary


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Jay
Jay Ellul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2018, 06:20 AM   #2980
sensei
Registered Member
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 571
Slief,

I have been trying to adjust the water level on my Super Marine but the tube does not let me do a fine adjustment. I just turn it 2 millimiters and the water level rises 10cm and goes to high and skimmer skims to wet.
I am not sure if the wedge shaped tube needs some maintenence so that I could turn it more without having such a drastic rise in water level?? it is so sensitive that it does not let me higher the water level 3 -4 cms, a minimum turn highers the level around 10cm

can you also tell the me were is the recomended water level in the skimmer??

Thanks


__________________
470g DT SPS dominated (600g system) - five 400W MH , BK 250 SM Skimmer
150g mixed reef - XR15w Pro, 150g FOWLR tank - XR30w Pro
90 g Coral & Invert Fishless quarantine - XR15w Pro, 20g TTM Fish Qt
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/11/2018, 01:36 PM   #2981
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
Slief,

I have been trying to adjust the water level on my Super Marine but the tube does not let me do a fine adjustment. I just turn it 2 millimiters and the water level rises 10cm and goes to high and skimmer skims to wet.
I am not sure if the wedge shaped tube needs some maintenence so that I could turn it more without having such a drastic rise in water level?? it is so sensitive that it does not let me higher the water level 3 -4 cms, a minimum turn highers the level around 10cm

can you also tell the me were is the recomended water level in the skimmer??

Thanks
The wedge is sensitive. especially when you have it closed too much. If you have a light load in your system, then you might consider setting your sump level to about 9.5" so you can open the wedge up more. Other things that cause the wedge to me too sensitive is running the pump at too high a wattage or salt creep plugging up the venturi port at the nozzle.

Ideally you want to be between 36-40 watts. Between 9-9.5" sump depth and no more than 1/2 closed on the wedge pipe. If you are closing the wedge more than half way, you should raise your sump level. I normally recommend setting the line where bubbles turn to foam at the base of the neck. If you have a light load relative to the skimmer size than you may want to go 1/2" above the part where the cup attaches to the body.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08/12/2018, 06:34 AM   #2982
sensei
Registered Member
 
sensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 571
thanks


__________________
470g DT SPS dominated (600g system) - five 400W MH , BK 250 SM Skimmer
150g mixed reef - XR15w Pro, 150g FOWLR tank - XR30w Pro
90 g Coral & Invert Fishless quarantine - XR15w Pro, 20g TTM Fish Qt
sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2018, 02:47 PM   #2983
Fishman UK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Hi

I have owned a supermarine 200 for around 8 weeks and am having trouble dialling it in.

I have a 1,600 litre mixed reef tank, quite heavily stocked. This was a replacement skimmer for my vertex Alpha which broke, and I ended up running my tank without a skimmer for around 6 weeks. Parameters are all fine, apart from nitrates which are around 50 ppt (worryingly high).

The skimmer is in 9 1/4 inches of water and set to 28 watts.

I have just returned from two weeks holiday to very limited skimmate (see Avast collection cup below):

Skimmate.jpg

There was a huge amount of mud like skimmate on the inside surface of the collection cup and top of the lid.

I have cleaned the skimmer and taken the photo below:

Skimmer 1.JPG

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob


Fishman UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2018, 07:03 PM   #2984
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman UK View Post
Hi

I have owned a supermarine 200 for around 8 weeks and am having trouble dialling it in.

I have a 1,600 litre mixed reef tank, quite heavily stocked. This was a replacement skimmer for my vertex Alpha which broke, and I ended up running my tank without a skimmer for around 6 weeks. Parameters are all fine, apart from nitrates which are around 50 ppt (worryingly high).

The skimmer is in 9 1/4 inches of water and set to 28 watts.

I have just returned from two weeks holiday to very limited skimmate (see Avast collection cup below):

Attachment 395298

There was a huge amount of mud like skimmate on the inside surface of the collection cup and top of the lid.

I have cleaned the skimmer and taken the photo below:

Attachment 395299

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
How many fish do you have and what size?

Run it a bit more wet. That will increase the skimmate production. The fact that you had the mud like stuff in the cup and on the lid is a sign that it’s working fairly well. You just may want to run it more wet to reduce the buildup on the lid and increase the liquid in the collection device.

Do you have the ozone port capped off on the pump? If not, I would cap that off so it’s not drawing water through the port. I don’t think that is your issue but it will help generate a bit more air intake though the venturi. That or connect the red ozone tube and zip tie it to the wedge pipe as that will also increase air intake. I think you just need to do some fine tuning. You can increase the pump speed a bit. Bump it to 30 watts and see what that does. Then try 32 watts. That will make it run a bit more wet or close the wedge pipe some which will also make it run a bit more wet. If you bump the speed up, you may need to open the wedge a bit or even lower the sump level depending on how much your wedge pipe is opened or closed.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476

Last edited by slief; 09/02/2018 at 07:09 PM.
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2018, 12:32 AM   #2985
Fishman UK
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
How many fish do you have and what size?

Run it a bit more wet. That will increase the skimmate production. The fact that you had the mud like stuff in the cup and on the lid is a sign that itís working fairly well. You just may want to run it more wet to reduce the buildup on the lid and increase the liquid in the collection device.

Do you have the ozone port capped off on the pump? If not, I would cap that off so itís not drawing water through the port. I donít think that is your issue but it will help generate a bit more air intake though the venturi. That or connect the red ozone tube and zip tie it to the wedge pipe as that will also increase air intake. I think you just need to do some fine tuning. You can increase the pump speed a bit. Bump it to 30 watts and see what that does. Then try 32 watts. That will make it run a bit more wet or close the wedge pipe some which will also make it run a bit more wet. If you bump the speed up, you may need to open the wedge a bit or even lower the sump level depending on how much your wedge pipe is opened or closed.


Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

I have around 40 fish, including 5 large tangs and two triggers. The rest and medium to small sized.

I have taken a picture of the wedge - how far open is this?



I have increased the speed to 40 and will let you know how this goes.

Rob


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Fishman UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2018, 08:52 AM   #2986
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman UK View Post
Thanks for replying to me so quickly.

I have around 40 fish, including 5 large tangs and two triggers. The rest and medium to small sized.

I have taken a picture of the wedge - how far open is this?



I have increased the speed to 40 and will let you know how this goes.

Rob


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds good. One other thing to check is the venturi port where the hose connects to the pumps nozzle. Salt tends to build up in there restricting air intake. I clean mine every month or so by removing the nozzle and and cleaning the salt buildup using a small screw driver to chip the dried salt and calcium out of the venturi port. The first post of this thread shows extreme buildup in the port and discusses routine mainenance on the RD3 pump. Post 2 is not relevant to the RD3 and only applies to the RD1.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2018, 08:46 PM   #2987
Jay Ellul
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 180
I have my DC150 about 15mm deeper in the water than max recommended. I seem to get best operation this wat with the pump nozzle screwed out about 10mm

Is this strange? Should I worry about it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Jay
Jay Ellul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2018, 10:43 AM   #2988
slief
RC Sponsor

 
slief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Simi Valley, Ca
Posts: 13,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellul View Post
I have my DC150 about 15mm deeper in the water than max recommended. I seem to get best operation this wat with the pump nozzle screwed out about 10mm

Is this strange? Should I worry about it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nothing to worry about there. There is no spot on the nozzle that works for every tank. Each tank is different which is why the nozzle is adjustable. So keep it where itís at if itís working well for you. The deeper the sump, the more the nozzle would need to be opened as well so Iím not surprised that you have it out that far. That just reduces water flow into the skimmer and increase air which in turn lowers the water level inside the skimmer and helps compensate for the deeper sump level.


__________________
Director Customer Support Royal Exclusiv USA
For All Royal Exclusiv & Bubble King questions please refer to our Sponsor forum: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=745

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:13 PM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.