Reef Central Online Community
Blue Zoo Aquatics

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/18/2018, 08:09 AM   #1
schnebbles
Registered Member

One more Move Question

I have an RBTA and rock flowers. They are, of course, all attached.

To move, do I need them off of the rocks? Or could they stay on the rocks in my buckets? How warm do those need to stay? Do they need the same oxygen as fish? My car will be at least 72+

I'm gonna bag up as many of my corals as possible but wonder about those critters.

My serpent star will likely end up in a bucket too unless I get really lucky to get it off/out of it's hiding spots in the rock.

Also, I have 40hr heat packs. My cooler is a styrofoam large cooler a friend gave me - it's about 20 x 12 maybe. How many heat packs do you think? Should I tape them on the lid?

sorry, I'm stressing over this! I may end up tearing the tank down earlier than right before we go because now we might leave around midnight. The drive is gonna be 15-17 hours depending on how fast and how much we stop. Everything is going in Kordon breather bags so it should be good longer. If I bagged everything up around 4pm, slept for a while and leave in the night, I should be good?

OH --> Florida

schnebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2018, 08:15 AM   #2
MrNurse
Jedi Master

As someone who has moved a tank before, I’d highly recommend trying to get your anemones separate from the rock. The big problem is that your rock may shift during the trip and that could potentially damage or kill your anemones.

Old 02/18/2018, 08:21 AM   #3
schnebbles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNurse View Post
As someone who has moved a tank before, Id highly recommend trying to get your anemones separate from the rock. The big problem is that your rock may shift during the trip and that could potentially damage or kill your anemones.
good thought! I'll try prying them off then. I didn't really think of that unless I can put the rocks in tight enough they won't move but probably best not to risk them.

I swear this tank is the worst stress of it all!

Old 02/18/2018, 09:13 AM   #4
gonereefing654
Registered Member

Try using a power head and point it at the RBTA. The get ****ed and let go of the rock so you don’t damage it that way.
Good luck with the move buddy.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Reddog
Registered Member

I have a BTA that I got around '96. Have moved the tank 5 times now. I usually try to move my live rock in a clean ice chest with enough water to cover the top. If you can, leave the anemone attached to whatever rock it is on. If need be, prob the rock it is attached to in order to keep it from getting crushed. One time I moved it, it was attached to 2 different rocks and it did end up tearing but thankfully recovered. The longest move I have made was only about a 6 hour drive. Just my 2 cents.

Reddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/18/2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Reddog
Registered Member

oh, and good luck with the move as well!!

Reddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2018, 02:56 PM   #7
schnebbles
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm excited!