Reef Central Online Community
Neptune Systems

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 01/09/2018, 09:54 AM   #26
anbosu
Registered Member
 
anbosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mount Juliet, TN
Posts: 4,525
I would use the area under the tank for storage and have the sump remote. It's not ideal but I think you're going to have a hard time having accessibility and enough space with that short of a stand. I have 36" on my 360 and it's still a hassle at times.


anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 12:20 PM   #27
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!
 
solitude127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 8,712
WOW, looks great. You don't see too many basements in LA.


__________________
Mike
<*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{ <*)))>{

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 01:54 PM   #28
d-man
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, ca
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
Im going to make it myself. Gonna try the plywood/Epoxy method. Im a woodworker so this makes sense for me.....its not for everyone though...

3/4 is what my calculations came out to also. Did they Temper it?
Plywood tanks are easy. They are obviously more tedious than having one made, but in the 2 800g+ ones Iíve done they are fun. Iíll be doing another one later this year. Hopefully in the 1k gallon range


d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 03:49 PM   #29
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Thirstyís 750 AGE build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic081 View Post
Im going to make it myself. Gonna try the plywood/Epoxy method. Im a woodworker so this makes sense for me.....its not for everyone though...



3/4 is what my calculations came out to also. Did they Temper it?
Not quite sure. I will go and ask!



Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude127 View Post
WOW, looks great. You don't see too many basements in LA.


Yea itís not a true under ground basement. Just below grade, door faces the backyard




Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
I would use the area under the tank for storage and have the sump remote. It's not ideal but I think you're going to have a hard time having accessibility and enough space with that short of a stand. I have 36" on my 360 and it's still a hassle at times.


Yep, will probably just use it as storage!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 03:58 PM   #30
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849


100gpd rodi is taking tooo long!!!

Planning to fill it about 15-20 inches, throw on a heater and let the rocks cycle.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2018, 05:18 PM   #31
d-man
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Diego, ca
Posts: 2,529
Use dr Tim’s tocycle it. Way faster


d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2018, 06:45 AM   #32
McPuff
Registered Member
 
McPuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,353
Why not just throw in some live rock from another tank, along with some dirty water? The tank won't really need to cycle that way. You'll just establish the bacterial community that much faster and allow the dry rock to become live rock much more quickly. I did this on my 300 and never had any cycling issues.


McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 02:46 PM   #33
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
If I use a remote sump as my primary sump, would it work if I put in a small sump under the tank with return pumps.

This would mean water would gravity flow from tank to remote sump. Then it would have to travel about 30 feet horizontally to the sump under tank where the return pumps are.

Will the flow through 2Ē pipe be sufficient to accommodate about 3k gph flow?

Or should just forget that, install the pump near the remote pump, and have the return pump deal with elbows. Horizontal travel wonít reduce flow as much if I recall.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 03:19 PM   #34
Joe0813
Registered Member
 
Joe0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston strong
Posts: 2,340
Following


__________________
Joe and Jenny

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 04:22 PM   #35
locito277
Registered Member
 
locito277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 1,521
I definitely recommend using a separate sump area if at all possible. All my equipment is under the tank. I canít move in there. I wish I could have a tank room.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


__________________
Nothings Free in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:32 PM   #36
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
I am trying to decide if I can just place the return pump in a secondary sump under the tank, to use gravity to help move water most of the distance. I will attempt to do so. Maybe using 2 sets of 2Ē pipes will make the non-pump travel between the two sumps doable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:33 PM   #37
locito277
Registered Member
 
locito277's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: miami
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirst View Post
I am trying to decide if I can just place the return pump in a secondary sump under the tank, to use gravity to help move water most of the distance. I will attempt to do so. Maybe using 2 sets of 2Ē pipes will make the non-pump travel between the two sumps doable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hammerhead or tigershark pump can handle the load! Unless your doing it to preserve planktonic life?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


__________________
Nothings Free in this hobby

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:37 PM   #38
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
Following
Welcome!


Quote:
Originally Posted by d-man View Post
Use dr Timís tocycle it. Way faster
Iíve used dr Tim, Iíve done zeovit all have somewhat worked. But ultimately for sps to be happy, it seems to just take a good 6 months before things are stable.

So just gonna get things wet, throw some dr Timís or zeovit in there and let time do itís thing. Iíll also be adding some siporax to add to the surface area

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Why not just throw in some live rock from another tank, along with some dirty water? The tank won't really need to cycle that way. You'll just establish the bacterial community that much faster and allow the dry rock to become live rock much more quickly. I did this on my 300 and never had any cycling issues.

Trying to avoid contamination from other tanks. My other tank has planaria, and I just donít wanna risk it. No rush to get things cycled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
I definitely recommend using a separate sump area if at all possible. All my equipment is under the tank. I canít move in there. I wish I could have a tank room.

Yea plus my stand is so short!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:45 PM   #39
PhishyRupert
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 51
Extremely nice tank, love the dimensions. Canít wait to see it filled


PhishyRupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 05:46 PM   #40
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishyRupert View Post
Extremely nice tank, love the dimensions. Canít wait to see it filled


Thanks.

Gonna to be a really slow process.

Once I get it wet and running, will run it with some livestock but almost an AIO while I figure out my sump situation.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 09:32 AM   #41
kinggeorge818
Registered Member
 
kinggeorge818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 568
Hey Johnny,
Any more progress??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


__________________
675 gallon Display, 1,100+ total system volume, 6 x Vortec MP60s, 2 x Vortec MP40s, 15 x Radion Pros, APEX, XP 8000 ext Octopus skimmer, Bubble Magus Dosing 4 part, 2 x Monster sized custom reactors,

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 12:02 PM   #42
Joe0813
Registered Member
 
Joe0813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston strong
Posts: 2,340
I love those dimensions. are you going to use more rock?


__________________
Joe and Jenny

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 01:25 PM   #43
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Light rack in process

Will use 3x400 watt MH along with some LEDs



The radions will slide to reposition




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 02:12 PM   #44
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge818 View Post
Hey Johnny,
Any more progress??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Slow progress. Got the tank 2/3 filled and will start cycling rock. Plan to run it this way for a while, while I work on light rack and plumbing. Will probably throw in a skimmer and some CUC and maybe a few fish to keep the biological cycle going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0813 View Post
I love those dimensions. are you going to use more rock?

Not sure. I want to keep it pretty open, and room for corals to grow.

I plan to keep a good amount of siporax for additional biological filtration




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 02:14 PM   #45
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by locito277 View Post
Hammerhead or tigershark pump can handle the load! Unless your doing it to preserve planktonic life?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I have a few big pumps, but trying to be mindful of electricity usage. Iím already using 2,000 kWh without this tank set up. I want to try to keep it below 3,000 kWh a month lol.

My roof only allowed me to put up a 6kw solar system




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 02:32 PM   #46
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849


Yellowish water



Built this stand-alone flat rock, trying to see what to do with it




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 02:38 PM   #47
kinggeorge818
Registered Member
 
kinggeorge818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 568
I really love the open look, and I like these structures that you build! And I like the standalone rock. Youíre gonna have to teach me how to build these things!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


__________________
675 gallon Display, 1,100+ total system volume, 6 x Vortec MP60s, 2 x Vortec MP40s, 15 x Radion Pros, APEX, XP 8000 ext Octopus skimmer, Bubble Magus Dosing 4 part, 2 x Monster sized custom reactors,

Current Tank Info: 675 gallon tank, 220 gallon vat, 200 gallon sump, 60 gallon refugium
kinggeorge818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 02:58 PM   #48
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinggeorge818 View Post
I really love the open look, and I like these structures that you build! And I like the standalone rock. Youíre gonna have to teach me how to build these things!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro


Sure thing, head to emarco and order one of his 15 pound kits.

I ordered 2 of them to do most of my creating.

Creating bases take a good amount of cement, to give it footing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 03:23 PM   #49
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member
 
DesertReefT4r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Mesa Az
Posts: 697
Looks nice. I like the rock work as it is so dont add much more Im sure adding corals will increase the amount of rock. I would add a larger grain sand or mixed grade crushed coral sand. I really lime the look of sand in a reef tank. Sand also add surface area for bacteria and reflects some of the light back up. A skimmer will help clear the water up even a smaller one for temporary use.


__________________
Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 03:38 PM   #50
thirst
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertReefT4r View Post
Looks nice. I like the rock work as it is so dont add much more Im sure adding corals will increase the amount of rock. I would add a larger grain sand or mixed grade crushed coral sand. I really lime the look of sand in a reef tank. Sand also add surface area for bacteria and reflects some of the light back up. A skimmer will help clear the water up even a smaller one for temporary use.


Right on!

I am adding some coarse grain sand now




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


thirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.