Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01/09/2018, 02:04 PM   #9926
sensei
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinfallz View Post
For what its worth, I've put some green scrubber algae in a zip lock bag, for a month, in darkness, and it stayed green.
I've also scraped off the excess algae on a screen I've decommissioned, left the screen sitting in the sunlight, dry, and the remaining base algae turned a pale creamy white colour - dead, after about seven days. When i've wet it, it turned soft and crumbly.

An illuminated dry screen seems the only logical answer.
Yes, it is the only logical explanation.
Thanks

sensei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 01:42 PM   #9927
Nstocks
Registered Member

Could a box be filled with strings and a wooden air stone inside for a good algae scrubber?

Reason for the microbbbles from air stone is to prevent noise due to tank location.

Nstocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2018, 04:41 PM   #9928
Nstocks
Registered Member

The biggest concern I have is the proximity of bare LED/wires near water.

In this build they have the lights 90 degrees from the screens which greatly reduced the electrical risk if a DIY LED panel was made.

Would this method be very inefficient though, even with 3 or 4 screens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8UqBIEwSgQ (at 1:32)

Old 01/13/2018, 11:07 PM   #9929
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Quote:
Could a box be filled with strings and a wooden air stone inside for a good algae scrubber?
The air stone is the limiting part. You need big air bubbles to move the algae around, and to remove the boundary layer on the air/water interface. Small bubbles do this less efficiently.

Quote:
In this build they have the lights 90 degrees from the screens
Those types lose a lot of effectiveness because almost all the light is at the "sunset" level. Much better to move the lights to the side, and only use one screen if you need to.

Current Tank Info: Various test setups
SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2018, 04:45 AM   #9930
Nstocks
Registered Member

Possible found a solution for splash proofing the Led's.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Whitefurze-...419158031&th=1

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #9931
lapoza
Registered Member

Well The Inland dump bucket has been going about 6 weeks now, maybe longer i cant remember when i actually started the tank up. Anyhow they gave me two seed screens when they closed to get it going, both covered in purple algae. I was using CFL lighting but they lamps had a date on them from 2011 so i decided to change to using a mars aqua 165W i just bought off of ebay. Within days GHA growth was explosive. I have been cleaning the screen weekly and it is overgrowing the old purple agae and will probably kill it off within the month.

I read through Turbos website on a DIY vertical style so i could get rid of the constant dumping noise. Found a DIY article on making a verticle scrubber out of PVC plywood. Ordered the Red and blue LEDS from Steves LEDS and have had it up an running for around 5 days, once again im not good at not taking so i dont know exactly how long it has been in operation. But it has gotten very good growth in a short time frame using a small seed screen of GHS from my dump bucket ATS. Once I feel confident that the vertical is adequate I will remove the dump bucket from operation.

The tank is fairly new but the Scrubbers have been keeping my levels at very good levels. Last nights readings were Alk 11.6 down from 12.5. Nitrate nitrite and ammonia at 0. The only issue Ive had has been phosphates from using tap water. I was at a .86 and it wouldn't drop until i changed to the mars Aqua. That dropped it to a .56 over a couple weeks. Two days ago I added GFO which dropped it to .21 overnight. I am hoping that within a week my phosphates are down to SPS coral levels.

Here are some pics of my DIY adventure. One thing i found very interesting is on the dump bucket scrubber the edge of the Mars Aqua LED the Alga quits growing almost in an exact perfect line. Definitely dependent on lighting for growth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3624.jpg (51.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3612.jpg (62.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3627.jpg (106.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3628.jpg (74.3 KB, 7 views)
lapoza is offline   Reply With Quote