Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10/10/2017, 02:02 PM   #1
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Anemone Inflates at Night, Normal?

Hi, My anemone, 2 days been in tank, inflates at night . Not deflates that much when lights are on. Possible %25 body mass difference between lights on and off. Is it normal? Is it still trying to acclimate to new tank? Thanks.
Lights 8*54W T5 fixture.
4* Blue Plus+1*Purple+1*Super Actinic+2* Coral Plus

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_2529.jpg (38.0 KB, 71 views)
DENIZSEAMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/10/2017, 07:21 PM   #2
pfan151
Registered Member

Is the anemone actually that yellow color? If so that is not a natural color and means the anemone was dyed. For the inflating, it is probably just adjusting to your tank. Can you take a better pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfan151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2017, 02:48 AM   #3
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

No it is white but night photo without flash made that photo yellow

Old 10/11/2017, 02:39 PM   #4
Scurvy Dawg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENIZSEAMAR View Post
No it is white but night photo without flash made that photo yellow
That thing is bleached. I would try and get my money back.

Scurvy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 03:13 PM   #5
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Heteractis malu its species. H.malu can be found whity pink. Am I wrong?

Old 10/12/2017, 03:20 PM   #6
Small Heavens
Registered Member

Since it is white, it has lost it's inner algae and cannot use Light at all.

You need to give it a chance to build its algae up and in the meantime it is trying to gain nutrients from the water during the night where the light cannot burn it's set skrive tissue.

The algae that gives it it's colour will also protect its inner sensitive tissue from the light.

Now it just wants lots of nutrients and a slow curve to get used to your light. Depending on its condition, it is said to take days to weeks for it to start getting stronger.

Feed it more regularly so it can give it's algae nutrients and it should bounce back.

It is impossible to remove an anemone from the wild without it fading alittle during the trip.

It's tissue is very sensitive and takes time to reshape to its new conditions, I would not try to move it back to the LFS now, as moving them is pretty hard on its structure to be honest.

Just give it time and attentive care and it should be fine.

Small Heavens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/12/2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Small Heavens
Registered Member

(sorry for the typo's, auto correction really gets me every time:/ Hope you can still read it and enjoy..)

Old 10/12/2017, 03:29 PM   #8
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
Since it is white, it has lost it's inner algae and cannot use Light at all.

You need to give it a chance to build its algae up and in the meantime it is trying to gain nutrients from the water during the night where the light cannot burn it's set skrive tissue.

The algae that gives it it's colour will also protect its inner sensitive tissue from the light.

Now it just wants lots of nutrients and a slow curve to get used to your light. Depending on its condition, it is said to take days to weeks for it to start getting stronger.

Feed it more regularly so it can give it's algae nutrients and it should bounce back.

It is impossible to remove an anemone from the wild without it fading alittle during the trip.

It's tissue is very sensitive and takes time to reshape to its new conditions, I would not try to move it back to the LFS now, as moving them is pretty hard on its structure to be honest.

Just give it time and attentive care and it should be fine.
Thank u alot for informative response. I can read it and enjoy too I have one last question . One of my little true percula has just entered this anemone. Is it bad for anemone in its current situation?

Old 10/12/2017, 04:46 PM   #9
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Old 10/13/2017, 04:15 AM   #10
Small Heavens
Registered Member

Is the base of the Nem is secure?

It's because the clowns like to splash the sandbed around their territory, and in some cases, it can de-base the Nem and spend it's last depleted energy reserves before it's settled in proper.

Old 10/13/2017, 06:10 AM   #11
Small Heavens
Registered Member

If it is secure from dig-outs, it should not be too much of a problem (benefiting from the amino acids and such in the fishes' waste), and it just needs to be protected from sharp light at first.

If you shield it from light it should begin to inflate itself to get more light when it's ready.

I got a glass top on, so I just placed cover directly on top of that and the next morning the Nem started inflating wildly and stretch upwards, so I could tell it was ready for more light at that stage.

Old 10/13/2017, 07:00 AM   #12
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Heavens View Post
If it is secure from dig-outs, it should not be too much of a problem (benefiting from the amino acids and such in the fishes' waste), and it just needs to be protected from sharp light at first.

If you shield it from light it should begin to inflate itself to get more light when it's ready.

I got a glass top on, so I just placed cover directly on top of that and the next morning the Nem started inflating wildly and stretch upwards, so I could tell it was ready for more light at that stage.
Yesterday, after I read your response I only made 4 T5s on today. A little but recognizable inflation occured. Thanks buddy

Note: I secured its base. Roots are under rocks( I didnt put rocks on it, just rocks have cavities and it used those to get secıred itself) . It attached itself to 3 different rocks around it.

Old 10/13/2017, 07:55 AM   #13
Small Heavens
Registered Member

Great, so it is moving in, congratulations!

Old 10/13/2017, 07:55 AM   #14
Small Heavens
Registered Member

And np, anytime