Reef Central Online Community
SpectraPure

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/22/2018, 04:48 PM   #1
Reef N More
Registered Member

New Innovative Marine 25 fusion Lagoon cycle start questions

Trying this hobby out again after failing with a 29 biocube 3 years ago. Just started cycling my Innovative marine 25 fusion. Doing everything by the book this go around (Ro water, water chnges every week, good lighting) i am 3 weeks ino the cycle and i am seing diatoms on rock and sand. My question is should i add a CUC or wait untill the 4th week and water parameters are at zero? Currently nitrite is at 1ppm and nitrate is at 40ppm. I have been running lights on for 6 hrs a day dont know if that changes anything. I understand patients is the biggest thing in the hobby im just ready to start adding stuff lol i want to make this into a reef tank.

Light- kessil 150a sky blue ( considering upgrading to AI Prime HD your thoughts please)

Skimmer - fluval ps2

Running RO water only from LFS

Thank you for all your help and insight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1524436863311343252760.jpg (37.1 KB, 29 views)
Reef N More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2018, 05:07 PM   #2
STEELERFAN747
Registered Member

The shimmer of the kessil is nicer. More natural but I like the look of the prime module better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 46g, 22" rimless starphire ReefSavvy cube, Speedwave DC 790 return pump, Custom acrylic sump/fuge, set of Tunze 6055 PH's with multi controller 7095, Cadlights PLS-100 skimmer, Apex controller, Tunze osmolator & Maxspect Razor 120w led light fixture
STEELERFAN747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Reef N More
Registered Member

I like the shimmer of the Kessil as well. I have read on other forums that the kessil will not contribute to coral growth is there any truth to these claims. I want to keep the kessil if its able to grow coral efficiently. If not then AI prime it is.

Old 04/22/2018, 06:22 PM   #4
accel
Registered Member

I have two Kessil 160s. A lot of people like the shimmer on it. I personally don't find the shimmer extraordinary. I can live without it. I do like the intensity and sturdiness of these lights.

Whatever you read about Kessils not contributing to coral growth is a lie. I have corals growing already with this light. I have seen Youtube videos and read testimonials thst it contributes to coral growth

accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/22/2018, 11:49 PM   #5
rjjr1963
Registered Member

I have the AI Primes and have been pretty happy. They have a nice web based control platform. You can adjust all the colors, intensity and duration easily. Lots of people have corals that don't grow and it's easy to blame a physical object like a light rather than look at what they might be doing wrong. Kessil, Echo-tech, Gieseemann, AI and others are all good lighting manufactures otherwise they wouldn't be in business.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/23/2018, 04:56 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Don't add the CUC until ammonia and nitrites are zero..

And yes its BS that a Kessil light can't be used for corals..

Old 04/26/2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Reef N More
Registered Member

Just added a couple of hermits and snails 1 pep shrimp and 1 crab. ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 40 PPM before water change.

Did a 20% water change last night and going to test today if you would like to watch the progress of the tank.. I made a YouTube channel to video the progress of the tank and also receive some knowledge and guidance throughout the journey. Eventually I would like to be able to keep some LPS.

Youtube channel is called Reef N More

Check it out! I will be posting every week with updates