Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 07/11/2009, 08:35 AM   #201
uhuru
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mandm25254
The corals body takes to the hgh like a human and grows faster and stronger (hgh is a human steriod found in the brain).
Steroids are derived from cholesterol. HGH is a polypeptide. And even if HGH made it to the corals in a saltwater environment, without any carrier proteins and completely different from our bloodstream, well, the corals would have to possess HGH receptors, IGF-1 and IGF-2 receptors. Is it possible? Anything's possible, but I believe the simplest explanation is usually the best... HGH is broken down into its AA components so all you are doing is adding a very expensive nitrogen source.

uhuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 10:38 AM   #202
crazzy
Registered Member

"all you are doing is adding a very expensive nitrogen source"
Flawed conclusion.
You are more than just that, you are adding a substantially enhanced growth which not just an expensive nitrogen source!

crazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2009, 04:45 PM   #203
uhuru
Registered Member

what?

Old 07/11/2009, 05:36 PM   #204
Genetics
Registered Member

I think people way over think how corals grow. HGH sounds like a good supplement up front, but you have to remember that adding polypeptides to an ecosystem (such as a reef) probably have many other effects besides the one that is intended. HGH does not mean that corals will react to in the same fashion people do and grow.

As for the essential amino acids. Studies have shown, and yes they are published online for all to see, that corals have the ability to synthesize a wide variety of amino acids. They still have 'essential amino acid' requirements but they will differ from specie to specie.

Current Tank Info: Planning phase.
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 06:41 AM   #205
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

Its great inf

Faisal1976us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 06:49 PM   #206
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

There was some information a while back I forgot what thread but It was tanks from Italy were using HGH with a food source and the sps were massive in size.
I will see if I can find it
Michael Anthony

LIVE SAND ITS THE CURE........

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
trueblackpercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/25/2009, 06:57 PM   #207
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Hehehe.......
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...5&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 120 CUBE Live sand Mitras lx6100hv MRC MR 2 single becket MP40 power head Aquamedic dosing pump using B-ionic
Old 01/03/2012, 02:37 PM   #208
lilise
Registered Member

Any updates since 2 years.

lilise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:14 PM   #209
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Extremely interested to find out if there are any updates with this? Anyone still using the pappone?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but accidentally stumbled upon this and had to ask.

Old 12/07/2012, 02:21 PM   #210
franklypre
Registered Member

I've used pappone for years, I don't use HGH, I use AA. The overall process(Blu Coral Method) gets great results in conjunction with pappone, though I admit I have reduced the calc and alk to a lower rate, alk is @10-12 and cal is usually around 500, mag is 1400. The only thing I will say is start slow and gradually build the amount used over a month or two.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:43 PM   #211
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklypre View Post
I've used pappone for years, I don't use HGH, I use AA. The overall process(Blu Coral Method) gets great results in conjunction with pappone, though I admit I have reduced the calc and alk to a lower rate, alk is @10-12 and cal is usually around 500, mag is 1400. The only thing I will say is start slow and gradually build the amount used over a month or two.
Thank you very much for the speedy reply. I'm definitely going to give it a shot. I'm building a continuous feeder at the moment and this will be perfect for it. I will heed your warning and start slow. I can only hope that my tank will look like the ones pictured when it grows up.

Do you have an FTS of your system?

Old 12/07/2012, 03:54 PM   #212
franklypre
Registered Member

If you look up frank's tank there are a series of progression shots. I quit dosing pappone this summer for a few months to see if it truly had been helping. My conclusion was it truly does help the coral maintain color and grow much more dense. I doubt I ever try to go without again, I wish I could get pics of the cluster dusters and sponge that I have. It truly feeds just about everything.

franklypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2013, 02:25 PM   #213
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

ok So its been a few years and I would like to know whats going on any updates ?

Old 12/14/2013, 04:16 PM   #214
N-A-S-O
Registered Member

Same here.

Current Tank Info: 110g sps
N-A-S-O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2013, 09:00 PM   #215
Jcreefer1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...04#post9506904
Those tanks are ridiculous.....viva Italia

Jcreefer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2013, 06:10 AM   #216
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Yes they have outstanding reefs and I would like to know if any of them are still around. I followed this thread from the start in 2007 and learned so much. But then one starts reading multiple post around here on RC in other threads. What happens is you stray in another direction well I did anyways and decided to go barebottom I should have just stuck with the blu coral method. What a nightmare that was for me way to much work. Well back on track here do you think they adopted the LEDs over there tanks and have they modified there food?

Come on guys tell us what's been going on for the past 6 years lol

Old 03/29/2014, 12:28 PM   #217
socalreefer73
Premium Member

Can you get livestock in or near Naples, Italy?

Hello all,

I've gotten the bug to get back into the hobby, the only clinker is that he is in the Navy and we are to be stationed in Naples, Italy for several years. Does anyone know how to procure livestock in Italy?

I'm not sure if i'll get a notify for a reply to this thread? Can you pm with details to, so I know when to come back and check the thread?

thanks a million!
~M

socalreefer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2014, 02:17 PM   #218
lumbeejerk
Registered Member

Updates please

lumbeejerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2014, 12:26 AM   #219
pete.e
Registered Member

Aspartic acid

Hello guys been reading this thread from start to finish, great read and lots of great info. Was just trying to find out if using aspartic acid as your amino acid is it D-aspartic acid or L-aspartic acid.
Thanks in advance Pete

pete.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2014, 07:09 PM   #220
trueblackpercula
Registered Member

Hello my fellow brothers

In my quest to provide the best possible living environment to my fish, small polyp stony corals and LPS, I have decided to embark on creating a modified version of the Italian food called pappone. I have had some amazing results with it but came across a French video that was just mind blowing of the results they are achieving with this food. The idea is to elevate you normal parameters so that it is available for the coral to consume as needed when needed.
Also it creates a living environment within the tank that is a natural filtration system that not only cleans and purifies the water but also feeds the entire eco system.
Below is the recipe that took some time to translate and decipher to come up with a dosing amount.

I have all but one ingredient and for some reason it is no longer available in the entire world LOL I have searched high and low and can’t find it. Does anyone in the club have some cyclop ezee? I had a small can and cannot find it. I have no idea what I did with it and now I need it.
If you have some let me know and we can make arrangements for selling or trade.

Below is the ingredients and I have no problem making this for the club if we can find a place to make it. It cost about $25 bucks each batch for 800mls to 900mls depending on the size of the clams and shrimps. So if the club has interest in setting up a play date let me know LOL

enjoy the video simply amazing >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MfzYwE6lv8

5 Clams medium to large
5 mussels
5 to 6 oysters depends on size
5 shrimp or (prawns) uncooked RAW no tails or shells prawns are better
1 Reef booster from prodibio
1 anchovies very rich in omega 3
Fauna Marin Ultra LPS Grow & Color Medium/Regular Pellet < for LPS
Half a bag of Reef pearls 40 grams or 1.41 size 5-200 MICRONS < for LPS
spirulina flake powder 10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)
250 g of fish eggs (the smaller the better and should be a saltwater type of fish)
2 teaspoon of Cyclop-eeze
250 g of mysis shrimp
250 g Artemia newly hatched brine shrimp
2 ml of vodka 80 proof clear not flavored
1 teaspoon sugar or 4 grams
200 mls of RO/DI WATER
Mixing in a blender : Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each).
Place in freezer or small cubes and feed up to two times a week 5 to 10 ml for every 200 liters or for every 52.83 gallons of water volume.

******BELOW IS SOME MORE INFORMATION FROM THE original PAPPONE******
Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank*. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AAs, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you dont have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight)<<<< I DON'T DO THIS AND HAVE HAD NO ISSUES AT ALL. After the lights are off, start with only a A of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also dont forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on. AGAIN I DON'T DO THIS I SEE NO NEED

*If everything is going well. It is good to wait and see how the tank is doing for awhile before trying this. The whole point here is that you don't want to change anything too fast, because nothing good happens quickly in this hobby. (Another method to grind up amino acid pills in the next batch of food; however Bisck found that it sometimes causes diatom outbreaks in his tank

Old 11/04/2014, 09:11 AM   #221
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

So you blend everything until they turned into liquid and freeze it. This ingredient is only for corals?

`.. , . .`.. >((((>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2016, 06:28 PM   #222
cliffhanger
Registered Member

I can use the method using biopellets, no add sugar??

cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2016, 07:15 PM   #223
RxMike
Registered Member

This is like steroids for corals. it works but you have to be careful not to pollute your tank

RxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2016, 07:30 PM   #224
cliffhanger
Registered Member

Italy's Best! Matured SPS Aquariums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMike View Post
This is like steroids for corals. it works but you have to be careful not to pollute your tank

Must add sugar or biopellets replace it?
is necessary to raise the alkalinity and calcium or magnesium can maintain normal parameters?
Thanks

cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote