Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/16/2018, 02:00 PM   #1
pweissma
Registered Member

Maxima clam Killed by Urchin?

My 2" maxima clam was bulldozed by something in my tank. The foot was left behind attached to the rock and the clam was loose but otherwise seemed fine. Prior, I had the clam for about 3 months and it seemed healthy.
I hoped that the foot would grow back but over the next 2 weeks it opened up wider and wider and stayed open 24/7 gasping. Slowly it got sicker and finally died.
I assume that the culprit was my shortspine urchin but I'd like to hear other explanations including that the clam was sick if that's possible.

Old 04/16/2018, 03:18 PM   #2
NO3
In Memoriam

Doubt it.....

More like clam died and urchin is cleaning up

NO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 03:29 PM   #3
pweissma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3 View Post
Doubt it.....

More like clam died and urchin is cleaning up
Never the the urchin or any other critter anywhere near the clam.

Old 04/16/2018, 04:20 PM   #4
RioReefr
Registered Member

I just got a clam myself about 1-month ago and I am learning a lot about them.

I do not remember the article, but basically they say a clam will "look great" right up to the time it "does not". It is a complicated animal with internal organs inside that shell that it won't show signs until it croaks. I do remember the article says to look at the tip of its shell where it meets the mantle, there should be slight white band indicating that is growing (as opposed to dying by doing nothing).

These are the reasons:

Water parameters, they really do not like elevated magnesium or inconsistent salinity levels.
Did you add phytoplankton into the tank, at 2" that is on the borderline lower-end of being able to self-sustain itself just through photosynthesis alone.
Was it getting sufficient light....everything I read cites you need to give them maximum light, as much as possible.

RioReefr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Anemone
Cloning Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweissma View Post
My 2" maxima clam was bulldozed by something in my tank. The foot was left behind attached to the rock and the clam was loose but otherwise seemed fine. Prior, I had the clam for about 3 months and it seemed healthy.
I hoped that the foot would grow back but over the next 2 weeks it opened up wider and wider and stayed open 24/7 gasping. Slowly it got sicker and finally died.
I assume that the culprit was my shortspine urchin but I'd like to hear other explanations including that the clam was sick if that's possible.
IMO, a healthy clam wil be able to "hunker down" and won't get dislodged by an urchin.

FWIW,
Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote